Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about
Default Do you mix flavored/non flavored in your humi?

More of just one of those untouchable questions, we say that you don't want to keep them in the same humidor but a lot of shops have Acid and other flavored cigars sitting in the same walk in humidor as the other cigars.

This came up after seeing some pictures of a shop's walk in and thinking about the local shops here in the KC metro area

I know I still buy the other cigars ... anyone else have any thoughts

Goes right along with we always say 70 degrees is the limit but when was the last time you seen people in the DR, Cuba, etc have Vinos plugged in at their house.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you mix flavored/non flavored in your humi?

Never. But then, I'm also the guy who, when one of the girls working at the local cigar club pulls out an acid, I will hand her something good just so I don't have to smell the damn thing...
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Not a good idea under any circumstances.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
More of just one of those untouchable questions, we say that you don't want to keep them in the same humidor but a lot of shops have Acid and other flavored cigars sitting in the same walk in humidor as the other cigars.

This is kind of like saying there are different colors of paint stored at the paint store when I get home why can't I put all the colors in the same can.

Do whatever floats your boat but be prepared for that flavor to migrate.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I don't smoke flavored cigars..... so no.

I think walk in humi's would be fine b/c of the increased surface area. Also at the B&M that I frequent, they keep the lids shut on the Acid boxes.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

No, I do not.

Chris.....
Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post

I think walk in humi's would be fine b/c of the increased surface area. Also at the B&M that I frequent, they keep the lids shut on the Acid boxes.
One keeps the lids shut, the other has their own humis.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

I don't but then again I really don't own many flavored sticks.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
This is kind of like saying there are different colors of paint stored at the paint store when I get home why can't I put all the colors in the same can.

Do whatever floats your boat but be prepared for that flavor to migrate.

Great analogy, Shawn!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I dont even allow them in the same room.

As far as temperature, I dont think many people in DR or Cuba have collections of cigars. They might have enough cigars to consume in a week.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I dont even allow them in the same room.

As far as temperature, I dont think many people in DR or Cuba have collections of cigars. They might have enough cigars to consume in a week.
Lol,,,,I gotta agree here cuz I love the unique taste of the cigar brands I buy. Why would I allow an infused cigar to marry it's flavor with my cigars? To me it is like putting fresh garlic in the same area where you put your desserts and then complaining that it tastes like garlic. Keep it fresh!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post

It depends on what percentage of the flavored cigars you have in there. A small percentage probably won't be noticeable, but a larger percentage could cause issues.

Cardenas cigars in Sacramento has their regular-line non-flavored and their flavored (Cardenas only sells their own line of cigars, and Cognac is the only flavored they make) cigars in the same walk-in and while the non-flavored cigars don't taste like cognac cigars, they do take on the aroma of the Cognac. How much they take on really depends on how long they are in there.

I remember someone asking Jonathan Drew about storing cigars like ACIDs, and he flat out told them, don't mix ACIDs with regular cigars at all, except for the ACID ONE which isn't infused so it doesn't really matter. For the Natural line, since those are not infused, but rather just use a small amount of what would have become pipe tobacco if they hadn't arrested the curing process early, that it's OK to mix them in your regular humidor until you get to about 40%-50% of the humidor contents with the Naturals at which point he recommends you should just get a separate humidor. Java and Tabak Especial you should just store in an old coffee can.

(Jon didn't actually say that last sentence, I kind of made that part up.)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Namerifrats

I don't smoke flavored cigar either. But I wouldn't keep them in the same humidor or cooler due to contamination. One of my local B&M actually has a large walk in humidor for the good stuff, and a smaller glass case humidor out on the sales floor with the flavored stuff.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
RIsmoker

I'll smoke a flavored Acid every now and then depending on what kind of day it is. I find myself with the flavored stuff during the spring and summer, but I prefer the naturals more then anything.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I keep a small stock of flavored/infused sticks, but they reside in their own little box in my cooler. Fully separated from my regular stock.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I would have to say that I agree with pretty much every one in that I personally wouldn't mix them, but unlike some the couple of shops I have in mind don't keep any lids shut on the boxes and if you walk by the shelves you can smell the acids, etc yet the next shelf over houses the Padrons which have smoked fine. Just and interesting thought to see that shops take different approaches.

True Bob on most in other countries don't have collections.

so that brings me to another question ... do you smoke in the walk in humidor at the shop. Not for me but then you have the Fuente's and others in videos smoking inside the aging rooms??

I don't know maybe it's the weather here in KC......
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post

so that brings me to another question ... do you smoke in the walk in humidor at the shop. Not for me but then you have the Fuente's and others in videos smoking inside the aging rooms??
Before Kevin opened his shop here in Richmond (Winston's Humidor,) the only B&Ms around were Havana Connections. All their shops are an open humidor/lounge. I've herfed a time or two at a few of them, but it's not ideal. The ventilation never seems able to keep up. The stock at one of their smaller stores in particular was always tainted with a stale smoke smell.

Kevin's place is much better--has a separate walk-in humidor. Not sure if he has a policy against it, but I don't bring lit cigars in there.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have any flavored cigars, but the lounge I go to is entirely humidified so tge whole thing us a humidor, they have acids, but they're off in their own little corner because noone buys them
Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Not a good idea under any circumstances.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote