Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
camaroman
Just in from the Storm

First Name: karl
Trading: (1)
camaroman is on a distinguished road
Default humidor media and humidity

I was wondering if someone with more experience could assess my humidor situation and let me know what I can improve on. I have a cheapie humidor I found on craigslist. I have about 10 cigars in it and I am using exquisicat as my humidifier. my humidity says it is at 65%. it seems like a lot of times my cigars go out when I am smoking them and I usually have to relight atleast 4 or 5 times. only thing I can think of is my humidity is to high?
camaroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: humidor media and humidity

Few things...

What type of hygrometer do you have and and have you calibrated it recently?

How long have you had the cigars? Some vendors are known to ship cigars a bit on the moist side to protect them from drying out if they run across adverse conditions in transit. Also, some B&Ms keep their humidors too moist. If either of these conditions existed and you just recently received them, they might not have had time to lose the extra humidity.

Using exquisicat as a humidifier is akin to using a painters tarp as a parachute. It might work, but it's really not the ideal and if it does, it's not going to work as well or the same. You can get real humidification beads that are truly 2-way from either www.heartfeltindustries.com or www.HCMbeads.com

It's also possible that where you are smoking the cigar is too humid. Not much you can do about that other than find a drier place to smoke.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

If your local humidity is high it can be best to start them out on the lower end of the spectrum ( say (60-62rh) and experiment to see what works best. Where i live its very dry so i keep kine on the higher end (67-70) and that seems to work for me. But need proper humidification and verified hygro first.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Follow step 2 at the bottom to test your hygrometer. Once you get it dialed in that's about all you can do. You can always drybox a few days prior to smoking it they're too wet.

As far as hygrometers, I got a very accurate one years a go but using 65% beads pretty much keeps me in the clear. The beads are dead one (within 1-2%) and I know longer rely on the hygrometer.

http://www.sciencecompany.com/-W136.aspx
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Yeah definitely recalibrate your hygrometer first so you are not guessing.
In PA 62-64% is perfect RH for my smokes. .
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
camaroman
Just in from the Storm

i see no way to calibrate my hygrometer, I have done the salt test and it reads 71% though. it is a digital unit from Cigars international called digital hygrometer #1
here is a link, let me know if I am able to calibrate it but I have looked very hard for some type of sdjudtment on it. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...ext=hygrometer the local humidity right now is pretty low, i think in the low 40's.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

IMHO it is helpful to be able to calibrate but not essential. I would salt test a second time and then you can confirm the +-. If it comes out at 71% just remember to add 4% to the Rh when it is in your humidor. Remember to retest your hygrometer every six months and change the battery every year.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Now cigars going out is not uncommon and depends on lots of factors. Even my best kept gems will go out if I run my mouth too long with my buddies. If you have to light, puff a few times, then have to constantly relight within the next 1-2 minutes, something is up. I find if you allow the ash to remain as long as possible, it helps keep the fire going. Constantly raking the ash can cause premature extinguishing. If the draw is poor, it's hard to keep lit, so that could be a factor. Give some other info on your situation, i.e. what sticks are you smoking, how long do you wait between puffs, is the draw consistent, etc.? I expect a little relighting and touch up from time to time, but if it were every stick, I'd be concerned. Like I said earlier, drybox a few of the problem sticks and see how they work in a few days. If your salt test gave 71%, you're close enough and I'd be hard-pressed to think it's your humidity.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
camaroman
Just in from the Storm

punch pita and AB black market like to go out a lot on me. the gran habanos seem to stay lit. it seems to get worse the longer the cigar burns for. seems i usually puff once or twice a minute sometimes every couple and thats when they go out but seems the gran habano stay lit for 5 min sometimes.