Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Wanger

Default 2011 NBA Draft

Thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out the Wolves with all their trades, aside from the fact that they're keeping Williams.

Who do you think were the winners? Who's looking questionable with their pick(s)?

I like the move the Spurs made to get Leonard. The Cavs made a big upgrade to their roster. What about Biyambo going at no.7 to the Bobcats?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2011 NBA Draft

My hometown Pistons better pray that kid is a true PG. I cannot stomach the thought of ANOTHER combo guard.

BTW combo guard = player too short to play shooting guard, but lacks the skills of a point guard. See: AI, Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey, and a ton of other NBA players.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Boobcats Draft = FAIL...........again. When it comes to running a team, MJ is a moron. I love it!

I couldn't watch more than 30 min of that farce ESPN (HYPE) had on the air. The inane hosts were almost as bad the the production. I tuned in to the ESPN (HYPE) radio coverage and it was 100x better.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this years draft class sucked a$$. Not much "superstar" talent to be had.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I thought this years draft class sucked a$$. Not much "superstar" talent to be had.
Why of course not! What would one expect, with all my Tar Heels electing to remain in school, and Dookies leaving in droves?

Did you catch the story about that Hamilton kid from Texas, who claimed he dropped so far in the first round because Rick Barnes badmouthed him to the NBA teams for being selfish and uncoachable? First of all, his comments seem to support that accusation. And secondly, how would Barnes know if a player is coachable or not, since he's never actually COACHED any of his recruits?
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Why of course not! What would one expect, with all my Tar Heels electing to remain in school, and Dookies leaving in droves?

Did you catch the story about that Hamilton kid from Texas, who claimed he dropped so far in the first round because Rick Barnes badmouthed him to the NBA teams for being selfish and uncoachable? First of all, his comments seem to support that accusation. And secondly, how would Barnes know if a player is coachable or not, since he's never actually COACHED any of his recruits?
Barnes was just upset that the kid left for the NBA. As for the Dookies coming out...what Duke player has done anything in the NBA?? They all seem to FLOP when they hit the big show.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Glad to see Marquette produce another first rounder again this year (albeit they both were the last pick in the first round )
Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I can't stand the NBA, but I'm loving the fact that my two fellow Boilermakers are going to be together in Boston and wish them well.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Barnes was just upset that the kid left for the NBA. As for the Dookies coming out...what Duke player has done anything in the NBA?? They all seem to FLOP when they hit the big show.
Rick Barnes should be inured to having his talent flee the program by now. As for Duke players, were I of a mind to I could name quite a few who have had good success in the NBA, and could also offer up the option that Kentucky has "enjoyed" a similar lack of stars in the pro arena.

Too bad I'm NOT of a mind.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Rick Barnes should be inured to having his talent flee the program by now. As for Duke players, were I of a mind to I could name quite a few who have had good success in the NBA, and could also offer up the option that Kentucky has "enjoyed" a similar lack of stars in the pro arena.

Too bad I'm NOT of a mind.
I didn't say had a lengthy/successful career in the NBA...I said did anything.

Battier, Shane 2001-2011 Defensive impact
Boozer, Carlos 2002-2011 Maybe
Brand, Elton 1999-2011 Maybe
Dawkins, Johnny 1986-1994 Flop
Deng, Luol 2004-2009 Role player at best
Duhon, Chris 2004-2011 Back-up
Dunleavy, Mike 2002-2011 Flop
Ferry, Danny 1990-2002 Back-up
Gminski, Mike 1980-1993 Back-up
Hill, Grant 1994-2011 Best one on the list
Hurley, Bobby 1993-1997 Flop
Jones, Dahntay 2003-2011 Flop
Laettner, Christian 1992-2002 Second best on list
Maggette, Corey 1999-2011 Joke
Parks, Cherokee 1995-2003 Complete flop
Redick, J.J. 2006-2011 Back-up
Williams, Shelden 2006-2011 Flop
Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:

You forgot one, Mac:

Kyrie Irving - Eight regular-season games (well, seven and a fraction), three uninspired back-up appearances in a truncated postseaon, and a No. 1 pick by the hapless (and King James-less) Cavaliers.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Players don't go to Duke to play in the NBA. They go there to win championships for Duke. Seems to have worked out just fine.

Comparing college ball with the NBA is apples and oranges.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Of course I may be a homer....but I thought the Jazz were BIG WINNERS in the draft. Before draft day/the draft I was REALLY hoping that the Jazz could get Knight/Kanter at 3(pretty good assumption they would have their choice) and then Burks or K. Thompson at 12....

They walked away with Kanter and Burks and filled 2 needs, with arguably the best C and SG in the draft.... Not a bad days work.

Talk about talent and youth, the Jazz could(they wont) start the season a line-up of -

(19) Enes Kanter - C
(20) Derrick Favors - PF
(21) Gordon Hayward - SF
(20) Alec Burks - SG
(28) Devin Harris - PG

They will probably start (26)Al Jefferson at 5 and (26) Paul Millsap at the 4.

Even with all their youth, I expect them to make a run at making the playoffs.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Players don't go to Duke to play in the NBA. They go there to win championships for Duke. Seems to have worked out just fine.

Comparing college ball with the NBA is apples and oranges.
Touche!!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Funny, I always thought players went to Dook to get the hell out of New Jersey.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
Wanger

Quote:

Battier, Shane 2001-2011 Defensive impact
Boozer, Carlos 2002-2011 Maybe
Brand, Elton 1999-2011 Maybe
Dawkins, Johnny 1986-1994 Flop
Deng, Luol 2004-2009 Role player at best
Duhon, Chris 2004-2011 Back-up
Dunleavy, Mike 2002-2011 Flop
Ferry, Danny 1990-2002 Back-up
Gminski, Mike 1980-1993 Back-up
Hill, Grant 1994-2011 Best one on the list
Hurley, Bobby 1993-1997 Flop
Jones, Dahntay 2003-2011 Flop
Laettner, Christian 1992-2002 Second best on list
Maggette, Corey 1999-2011 Joke
Parks, Cherokee 1995-2003 Complete flop
Redick, J.J. 2006-2011 Back-up
Williams, Shelden 2006-2011 Flop
I about spit water on the screen with that one! For being the #3 pick in the draft, he was NOWHERE what he was expected to be, and never a team leader (especially here in MN). I'd definitely put Boozer and Brand ahead of him on the list, for sure. Possibly even Battier.

Hurley is a flop only because he was nearly killed in a car accident early in his potentially promising career. Had that not happened, I could have seen him having a John Stockton/Steve Nash-like career, honestly.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
agctribefan

You forgot a couple Duke players in there.

Jay Williams - actually had potential but cut short.
Trejon(sp?) Langdon - back up flop
Jeff Capel - Flop, but a damn good coach.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agctribefan View Post
You forgot a couple Duke players in there.

Jay Williams - actually had potential but cut short.
Trejon(sp?) Langdon - back up flop
Jeff Capel - Flop, but a damn good coach.
Because all three did absolutely NOTHING in the NBA...I left them off the list.