Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Cigar of the Month Clubs

Anyone ever use these to try different sticks?I have thought about it but I'm not sure they are worth the risk. If anyone does belong to them, which ones are the best? I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cheapo cigars for $25/month. Any views?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cigar of the Month Clubs

I've contemplated joining one, but I think trades, and 5er's from Cbid will offer you better deals. Like you said, they throw in cheapo cigars from time to time.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

From the pictures i've seen on some advertisements of cigar of the month clubs, there are a crapload of no-name brands you will get. Kinda like the Cheapo cigars in CI's catalogs. Cremosa Cubana's anyone?
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Thats what I'm afraid of. Guess I'll stick with cbid. Much easier.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I did the Thompson one when I first started smoking...still regret it!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I did the Thompson one when I first started smoking...still regret it!!!
Same here. A friend got me a gift certificate to Thompson's and I got a sampler. Some of the cigars were moldy :-(
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Anyone ever use these to try different sticks?I have thought about it but I'm not sure they are worth the risk. If anyone does belong to them, which ones are the best? I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cheapo cigars for $25/month. Any views?
Think you would do better just posting a "WTB $25 Sampler" in the WTB section of this site once a month.....

Would take a bit more work on your part.....but I think it would be worth the few minutes more a month it would take...

Just my $.02....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Yeah I'd say you're right about that E.J.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
systm
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (3)
systm has disabled reputation

Monthly clubs are, from what the older smokers say, pretty over priced for the sticks you get. Maybe one or two decent sticks but the rest are usually dog rockets.
systm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Addiction

I would strongly reccomend against Cigar of the Month kinds of deals, looking at what comes out of those it doesn't appear to be worth it.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Sage advice here Kevin,heed it
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I did this with CI for 2 months and I actually enjoyed it. I was on this Gurkha kick and this helped me branch out into other brands. The selections were great and the newsletter had great information. I know Cigar.com sends a great selection the first month you join and after that I am not sure. I don't have any regrets in trying them though. I might not have ever tried the Camacho Corojo if I hadn't received it from a CoM Club.

Like the other guys said though you can get more bang for your buck from the forums. I didn't know that back then.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Another option would be to hop on the newbie sampler trade. It's awesome.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

Don't bother. There are many 'samplers' offered here.
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #15
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Thanks for all the sage advice. Looks like overall, they are a pretty bad idea. And risky at that.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Garnoobie

Wow, I was thinking about this too, but I am glad I read this thread.
I guess I shouldn't expect it to be any different then that time I subscribed to the John Tesh CD of the month club, it was horrible.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I can agree with all the other posters. Most of the cigar of the month clubs i have seen have 1 or 2 cigars you may like and then it is inventory clearance for the others. And with the newbie sampler trade here as well as other trades you can get the same effect with people you can trust. I can tell you I do the cigar of the month club at fullers pullers and have been pretty happy with it. Most of the sticks I receive are great with a few I dont care for.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Kinda like the others have said, I have almost done it a time or two. Always didn't cause I would rather pick mine than them pick em.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #19
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I tried one @ $22 per month (including postage) for 3 cigars and got some very interesting and usually good cigars that I would not have otherwise tried. All good quality cigars with a retail of $5-8 so not a rip-off at all. Now if I were one that goes to the B&M for most of my purchases (and I am not one to do that as their prices are mostly rediculous) it would have been a good deal. But since I am not one and I shop very hard for my purchases online taking full advantage of the specials and daily deals and almost never pay shipping costs they were not such a good deal. I cancelled it after about 6 months.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
tobii3

Okay...this oughtta date me horribly....

I was a LONG time member of one.

$14.95 (included shipping) for 5 sticks every month. No kidding. And I NEVER got a "house brand" or "sh*tstick" the entire time.