Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default LP - Is it me?

OK, I've been watching the love-fest over the Liga Privada lines - 9 & 52. I have tried a Flying Pig from each. I have had a one or two of the parallel size in each. I have even tried a couple Undercrowns.

The reason I bring this up, and I am not trying to be a "hater," is because everybody's tastes are different. Having said that, it appears I am the only one who isn't on the band wagon with the LP/Undercrown lines.

They all have a great aesthetic appeal, for the are amazing looking sticks. I have even enjoyed the room note that the T52 line produces. I really want to like these cigars. But having said that, I found that I was not impressed with any that I have tried. To me they were strong and one-dimensional, leaving me quickly disinterested. They had some interesting flavors to begin, but I got bored with them fairly quickly.

I fournd them to be strong, and that wasn't a problem, as I love strong, but strong for the sake of strong, without any nuance or complexity, was seriously disappointing. In fact, I put an #9 FP down at the 1/2 way point as I was bored and wanting some flavor and excitement.

[An aside... I thought it might be that I cannot handle strong cigars. But then I considered some things. I love Litto Gomez Diez, I love the LG Small Batch, I love the LFD Coronados, also the LFD Air Benders. I think most of these are fairly full-bodied. But then I do not like the LFD Double Ligero and can only tolerate the LFD Ligero as they are, to my tastes, strong and seriously one dimensional.]

What gets me is that at their prices I am completely and totally underwhelmed by them. I do not get it. Are my tastebuds out of whack? Or am I the only one courageous enough to speak my mind (the emporer is naked)? Or is it simply that my tastes are just not up to this?

Now the Papa Fritas is out and I have been reading the love-fest over this CUT filler cigar. So I'm thinking...
I don't think the LPs are worth the price they get for them.Is a cut filler cigar, from the dropping of cigars I haven't enjoyed, really something to get excited about?
Is any cut filler cigar worth $5.00 (OK, $4.99) a stick?

[Another asided... I do love the MUWAT Bait Fish. I finally tried one of them and really enjoyed it. I will look for some more of those. I haven't tried any other MUWAT sizes, but that may change. Maybe not.]

So, what are your thoughts on the questions I raised? Is it just me? Or does someone have an explanation?

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: LP - Is it me?

Chalk it up to different strokes, Todd.

I am not a huge NC guy anymore, so I have no fear of bashing the "hot" cigar of the week. But I tried my first Undercrown on Christmas Eve, and really liked it. And I had a Baitfish the week before, and thought it sucked. Just the opposite of you. Am I right, and you wrong? Of course not....it's different strokes. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Chalk it up to different strokes, Todd.

I am not a huge NC guy anymore, so I have no fear of bashing the "hot" cigar of the week. But I tried my first Undercrown on Christmas Eve, and really liked it. And I had a Baitfish the week before, and thought it sucked. Just the opposite of you. Am I right, and you wrong? Of course not....it's different strokes. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
I know it is different tastes. I know I don't like everything everbody else likes. I find many CCs I like and some I don't. I also find many NCs I like and some I don't. I also like some NCs more than some CCs and vice versa.

My thing was that with all the love being thrown around, maybe there's something I'm missing.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Todd,

I got caught up in the craze over these cigars a while back and went on a buying spree buying every Liga I could get my hands on! I loved the construction and the amount of smoke that any DE cigar puts off however after the original rush wore off the only one I enjoyed was the L9 and the T52 Pig other than that I wasn't much of a fan of all the others! It may be because my tastes have changes but I can't agree more that they have the same complexity though out. One thing that drove me nuts and quit honestly alway from the DE line is that everything that comes out is HTF or rare and you have to scavenge the earth looking for it! Anyway...I may go back to the L9 one day but thanks to my neighbor I will gladly grab a CC for the same price and get a much better smoke IMO!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Have you had the Undercrown corona Todd? I thought that this little stick was quite good for the price (can be had for $5/cigar). To me they seem to have flavor changes.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

It's not just you. I haven't been impressed by any Liga either. The #9 is a decent smoke but doesn't justify the price tag, and the Undercrown to me tastes like it was cured in a can of turpentine. I snagged a bundle of "My Uzi Weighs a Ton" too, and those have been a big "meh" so far.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nothing wrong with you Todd, I see the Lil Monster hype, and think they suck. I see Baitfish hype, and think they suck. Then I like a cigar people bash. It's all individual tastes, hype only means something if one lets it mean something.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Nothing wrong with you Todd, I see the Lil Monster hype, and think they suck. I see Baitfish hype, and think they suck. Then I like a cigar people bash. It's all individual tastes, hype only means something if one lets it mean something.
I never bought any lil monsters, but I snagged some mummies when they came out. The baitfish was a let down to me, but a lot of people love that little cigar.

Todd just chalk it up as not for you and move on to something you enjoy

Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
But I usually like stronger cigars.

By the way, "love" the Baitfish might have been strong. I got one at Titletown the other night and let's just say, considering what I think of the other Drew Estates stuff, I was impressed. I didn't expect to like it at all.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Have you had the Undercrown corona Todd? I thought that this little stick was quite good for the price (can be had for $5/cigar). To me they seem to have flavor changes.
I had a toro and a robusto of the Undercrown. As I said, I was underwhelmed.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I had a toro and a robusto of the Undercrown. As I said, I was underwhelmed.
I hear the Corona Viva is the best by far of the Undercrowns from a few NC lovers, Todd.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
I hear the Corona Viva is the best by far of the Undercrowns from a few NC lovers, Todd.
If I find one, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

While I think the #9's are okay, I generally don't stock them. I like the T52's better and the FFP. I found the Undercrowns to be so-so at best. I've also noted that the last box of T52's I've bought were just not as good as the older ones. I saved back a couple of older ones when the new ones came in. I smoked an older one last week and I can definitely say the older release is better.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a HUGE fan of the LP No. 9 !! Now the, the T52...not so much. As for the Undercrown, the only one that I've thoroughly and completely enjoyed was the Corona Viva...and this size WOWED me , the other sizes were "ok" at best.

I, too, am a HUGE fan of a lot of Litto Gomez stuff, but I think the Air Bender is complete garbage. I have smoked 6-7 of them, different sizes (maduro included) and have been, to quote you, "completely and totally underwhelmed by them". I guess it all goes back to the old adage "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!"
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If anything, I'd say I've been underwhelmed by all this stuff.
I get real bored with a one-dimensional stick, and these are great at that. The flavor isn't something that grabbed me and made me forget how one-dimensional they were, but they were okay.
When I smoked them, I kept thinking "it doesn't taste like tobacco" for whatever reason. I can't hardly explain it, but they didn't strike me as something I've become used to. They didn't make me want more, either.
Add to that the premium price and it made the whole lineup undesirable to me.

I can easily see why guys would like the cigars, and I can see where the value is in them. They just didn't/don't trip my trigger despite wanting to like them.
I put some away to see how they do with a little time, but I don't expect much. I imagine they'll just mellow, and I feel that they're one of those cigars that's at it's best new.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes find it hard to be objective when judging a cigar that is so hyped up, but I guess that's just human nature sometimes. I do like the Undercrown line a lot, but there have been some Viajes and Tats that I almost forced myself to keep smoking, hoping they would get better. But hey, that's just me!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I actually just tried a No. 9 for the first time two nights ago. It seemed to be constructed well, burned great, had a surprisingly loose draw, gave decent enough flavor. All in all it was okay but just didn't wow me. I don't like to judge a cigar after just one try, but I can't see myself rushing out to get more. Not to say I won't try another one or two someday, but right now I wouldn't put them high on my list.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I'm not a fan of the LP stuff. I dropped the coin on a box of T-52 robustos a few years ago. At first they tasted like steak, just a great different cigar. Then after a few months they lost ALL flavor. I happily traded them for some aged CC's. I have tried several from the other LP lines and do not like them for the price. I think they are one trick ponies and would rather smoke something else for the coin. The Undercrowns are ok though but not box worthy IMHO, which is what it all comes down to (an opinion).I do think DE does an excellent job of tapping into the emotional side of marketing and that is where a large part of the sales come from (Again, my opinion).
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
If I find one, I'll give it a try.
Oh really

Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

The first run of undercrowns were great, nice oily wrappers, great spice to em with a touch of earthiness. Then the second and subsequent runs came in and they all flat out sucked. The coronas are the only ones to maintain any sort of consistency from batch to batch and are a solid smoke, but I could never smoke another of the other sizes and be perfectly happy.

If you didnt like the 9s then steer clear of the papas fritas, theyre a 9 just not as sweet. It all comes down to the old saying, smoke what you like, like what you smoke. There are a number of talked a bout sticks I love, and for every one of those theres one talked about stick I cant stand
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote