Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Red face Advise on CAO La Traviata line(from people that liked them mostly) Rep

Originally requested by LQPrimeTime from another cigar forum...I was wondering the same thing as I do not have the resources I once did.

I have been off the CA scene for a little bit, and I loved the La Traviata line. About the time I stopped checking CAs site and forums, CAO announced their merger. I assumed quality could possibly fall because of th[e] merger, so I'm wondering what are peoples thoughts on the CAOs line now, especially La Traviatas.

Have they started making cigars in the new factories and relocated everything? If so have people noticed quality going down? Or are they making the cigars with the same people they did before just with new funding?

I used to buy these by the box and before making multiple box purchases again i just wanted some peoples recent opinions of them. And peoples thoughts on how CAO has been since the merger. I didn't smoke really anything but the La Traviata line, so that's what I'm mostly interested in but any info would help. I tried looking up more recent ratings to see if they held the same standard as they did before, but I couldn't tell much.

And if anyone can answer, how long would it normally take after a merger, for cigar quality to change? Years since they're already have been aging tobacco? Months? As soon as they change blenders IF they do?

Recent opinions appreciated, thanks.
Likewise me too...
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Advise on CAO La Traviata line(from people that liked them mostly)

They are still made in the same factory with the same tobacco and rollers. No, they havn't changed.

As for the merger affecting quality, that is anybody's guess. It may or may not happen.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-06-2011 at 06:11 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I had one 4-5 weeks ago, it definitely wasn't bad for a CAO.

Probably a 09 or 10 smoke though.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Per my source within STG, the CAO brand manager is an upright guy, who is committed to the brand, and has the authority to maintain the name and cigars at and above the level they had before the merger. I would not expect (under the current management) for there to be any negative impacts on CAO due to the sell-out to General, and the consequential merger of Swedish Match into the new Scandinavian Tobacco Group. Chutney Lovebusciutis correct in his assessment.

As for this specific cigar line, I've never had one of those. But I'd expect it to remain what you have had in the past.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I did not like the one I had a couple months back
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
As for this specific cigar line, I've never had one of those. But I'd expect it to remain what you have had in the past.
Cliff, be sure to give 'em a try. I think they really focused on this cigar. They made a good blend for not a lot of money, plus, they got away from the fancy packaging and used plain ole unvarnished cigar boxes. I didn't like the maduro as much but I am not much of a maduro Lovebusciut.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Cliff, be sure to give 'em a try. I think they really focused on this cigar. They made a good blend for not a lot of money, plus, they got away from the fancy packaging and used plain ole unvarnished cigar boxes. I didn't like the maduro as much but I am not much of a maduro Lovebusciut.
I saw these for the first time in a B&M in Knoxville a couple of weeks ago (I don't get into B&Ms much). They smelled and looked good, but I was broke at the time! I should be back in that area in about a week, and plan on purchasing a couple of different sizes.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Cincysmoker

I smoke these on a pretty regular basis and haven't noticed any change. Overall they have been really consistent since they debuted. I hope they don't change.