Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Jemhidiah

Default Joya De Nicaragua Antano 1970

I had a bit of a problem with the smoke production and draw of this particular stick. I bought it about a week ago at the local B&M, let it sit for a week in my humi. Overall the flavor was good I was just disappointed because I have heard that this was a full flavored cigar. Maybe it was just the lack of smoke production and the constant struggle to get a descent draw that detracted from my experience. I would just like to hear from some members of this board what they thought of this grand consul. Oh yeah I am new to the forum and would like to say hello. Have a box of Liga Privada #9 Belicoso coming in tomorrow and can't wait to sit and enjoy one and let everyone know what I think of it.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Joya De Nicaragua Antano 1970

Introduce yourself over here.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

I really know nothing about the stick, but perhaps their boxes at the B&M sat there for 2 years or so and mellowed out into a lesser body/flavor of a cigar. Maybe you got a bad cigar? I remember smoking one of these and thought it was very MEH, forgettable for sure.

I think you'll enjoy the Liga Privadas A LOT more.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Great review, my friend.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Love these, but draw is inconsistent. But overall a great smoke.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Love these, but draw is inconsistent. But overall a great smoke.
I Totally Agree, I have 2 boxes and sometimes the draw is great and the next time I have to use my draw tool.
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

to the Asylum, never had one.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the MADHOUSE!!

As for the Consul, this is the one size that I didn't care for in the Antano 1970 series. Try another size...these are very tasty sticks.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I just had my first one this weekend, not positive it is the same smoke (Pics?), I too had a draw that was a bit too tight. I used an improvised draw tool (small round file). I inserted it about two inches and it smoked like a champ!!!
Great cigar and beautiful to look at, hold and smoke.
A draw tool is an investment I am going to make after improving a couple draws, I now know it is worth purchasing.
The "Slick Trick Stick" (I think that is what it is called), designed by a brother here, is what I set my sights on.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 09-28-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I have only smoked the Consul, not the Gran Consul. I can never remember having draw issues with this cigar. I loves 'em. Powerful and tasty.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Tight draw not all that unusual for these. They're generally packed pretty full. I usually enjoy these, but I've never really figured them out. I'd say that across the couple dozen I've had, they're the oppposite of consistency of flavor. I don't really believe that the raw tobacco itself (or the blend) has had that much of a range, but I sure have experienced a range of tastes in these.
I suspect it is age differences; that, perhaps, the cigar changes somewhat dramatically with 6, 12, 18 months of age. But, I think that also, RH has more affect on these than most; that one kept at 62 probably tastes much different than one kept at 70. I don't know...but these tend to waver between kick in the head spicy (and sometimes harsh) to a smooth-medium/full body.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Jemhidiah

Well I went to the shop today and there were 2 new boxes of these that came in with there shipment today, I mentioned my problems and they gave me another on the house. I will probably smoke it tomorrow seeing that my liga privada #9 box came in today and there calling my name.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemhidiah View Post
I mentioned my problems and they gave me another on the house.
The sign of a good shop right there.

Welcome to CA Jemhidiah.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

I had the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time at the latest CI fest this past April and was given a handful of the Joya de Nicaragua 1970's. Being a newer cigar lover I didn't know much about them but was thankful for the genorosity nontheless! My first one was terrific! I believe I cut that one and afterwards tried to punch my next. I experienced the same draw issues as you. It is a good smoke in my opinion but it is packed very tight. I like a good draw, not loose, but not as tight as what this seemed. If I do smoke another it will likely have to be cut. Enjoy the LP9's you lucky dog!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemhidiah View Post
seeing that my liga privada #9 box came in today and there calling my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
I had the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time at the latest CI fest this past April and was given a handful of the Joya de Nicaragua 1970's. Being a newer cigar lover I didn't know much about them but was thankful for the genorosity nontheless! My first one was terrific! I believe I cut that one and afterwards tried to punch my next. I experienced the same draw issues as you. It is a good smoke in my opinion but it is packed very tight. I like a good draw, not loose, but not as tight as what this seemed. If I do smoke another it will likely have to be cut. Enjoy the LP9's you lucky dog!
I wish I could have been there! Next year fo sho!