Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Nicotine and pain?

Background: december 08 I had a total hip relacment and everything was great post surgery untill about a month ago when I seriously injured the same hip again some how.

Actual question: Is it possible that nicotine from the cigar can ease pain. The reason I ask is I have noticed that on days when I don't have a cigar pain in the problem leg is much worse. Is this a coincedince or could this possibly be true?

Any and all comments are welcome aside from banter.thanks for your time.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nicotine and pain?

Maybe the relaxation factor? Or maybe there is something to it. I know that painkillers seem to work better for me when I take him some caffeine as well, maybe Vitamin N has some similar effect?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
JimmyPeaches
Just in from the Storm

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
JimmyPeaches is on a distinguished road

Nicotine amplifies the effects of some painkillers, so yes, very possible.
JimmyPeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I try to avoid taking pain killers because it puts me out of commission for the day No driving, Not clear headed enough for doing lab work in school. I thought about Relaxation being a key factor but What about when I have a morning smoke then im good for the day?

There may be no real answer to this question really But it sure would be awesome to get a prescription form a doctor to smoke cigars everyday. Then be able to write off my expenses as a medical write off.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

There's a fella I talk to at the hookah community I'm a member of, and he has arthritis pretty bad. He claims that he has less aches and pains after smoking his hookah. So maybe there is something to nicotine providing some pain relief.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

The nicotine might boost your pain meds, but I'm no doctor. All I know is popping a vicodin before smoking a stogie is freaking awesome!
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

I try not to mix them. Ill Smoke a cigar then maybe an hour before bed ill have my pain meds. Im not looking to strengthen them If i needed more I would ask the doc.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I'll agree with the relaxation factor too. If you smoke a CC at the time, could there be a Lithium factor? Thought I'd throw that in there for the fun of it...
Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
tobii3

actually, it's quite simple.

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It constricts your blood vessels...thereby, actually decreasing the blood flow to an injured area.

Does that help??

Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Well son, I recomend having another cigar and contacting me tomorrow.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
flat6nut

Smoking slows the healing process.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I've always been told that nicotine is a stimulant.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

if its a cc you're smoking, they put marijuana in them, so that could have something to do with it. at least thats what i've heard

stearns
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
if its a cc you're smoking, they put marijuana in them, so that could have something to do with it. at least thats what i've heard

stearns
I was going to say that if a CC, not the marijuana but lithium in it could help relax some???
Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Cigary

There is a link here that goes into this very subject and something I always felt was true. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=526783
Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Wow Thanks,

that was what i was looking for. For anyone else here is part of the article.

"Nicotine's salutary effects in patients with neurodegenerative and mental disorders have been studied a lot and are fairly well known. Two much newer topics of academic research are nicotine's potential for pain relief and for treating obesity.Nicotine itself has provided modest pain relief in animal studies. Although the analgesic effect of drugs that mimic acetylcholine were originally attributed to a different class of receptors, it is now clear that nAChRs play an important role in the control of pain. For instance, epibatidine, a drug that is extracted from the skin of an Ecuadorian frog and that acts at nAChRs, has been shown to be 200 times more potent than morphine at blocking pain in animals. Current animal research is aimed at discovering just where, how, and which classes of nAChRs work against pain, with the aim of developing more selective drugs.
Meanwhile, nicotine is also being investigated as an analgesic in humans. For example, Pamela Flood, an anesthesiologist at Columbia, is investigating nicotine's future as a postoperative analgesic. She recently completed a pilot study of 20 women undergoing gynecological surgery. All the women had access to unlimited morphine and also got either a single 3-mg dose of nicotine nasal spray or a placebo. The placebo group had peak pain scores of eight out of a possible ten in the first hour after surgery. Women who got nicotine averaged a pain score of five. Despite the small sample size, Flood says, the results were highly significant. “As far as I know this is the first clinical study to use nicotine for analgesia, and it was much more successful than I ever would have imagined.”
“The nice thing about nicotine and drugs like nicotine is that they have opposite side effects to anesthetics. Instead of being respiratory depressants, they are respiratory stimulants. Instead of being sedating, they increase alertness. So theoretically this class of drugs is actually the perfect thing to add to an opioid regimen. The fact that they're synergistic was a fortuitous thing that we had never looked at, and neither had anybody else.”
Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post

stearns
correct, thats why they are illigal in the US but legally available in The Netherlands
Old 07-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I have a knee replacement and I find that the relaxation effects of a cigar are as good as any prescription medication. Yesterday I went to the Massholes herf and my knee was bothering me before I went. After a few cigars and some alcohol, my knee was fine. Hope that this coming from personal experience helps. Paul
Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Sure does Paul. I guess i have an excuse to smoke more now :-)
Old 07-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
There is a link here that goes into this very subject and something I always felt was true. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=526783
Bookmarked that. Interesting stuff - scientific evidence for all the really old, healthy, avid cigar smokers. Smoking kills...mmmyessss...
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote