Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough
Default Devil's Weed Nicot

Initial Impressions: This was a lovely looking corona gorda (5.5 x 46). It had a silky smooth natural wrapper with a nice oily sheen. No bumps. The cigar was firm to the touch, there were no soft spots. The cigar had a very pleasant pre-light aroma.

Smoking: This cigar had a great draw with a very good volume of smoke. It smoked very cool from start to finish, no over heating. The wrapper did not unravel or crack during the entire smoke. The ash was firm and light grey with some marbling and stayed on for over an inch before ashing. The construction was excellent.

Taste: This was a very pleasant medium-bodied cigar. It was smooth the whole way through and did not have any harshness or unpleasant flavors. Overall the cigar had a straightforward tobacco taste with lots of sweetness. The finish was pleasant and sweet and stayed on the palate for a long time. In the second half of the cigar I could also detect some complexity and could taste some very pleasant cocoa flavors. The finish also become more robust and even sweeter. The cigar had a very pleasant aroma while smoking.

Conclusion:Overall this was a very good cigar. Highly recommended, especially for the price. A box of 20 can be found on CI for $31.99, and it's well worth it. The construction was flawless and the taste was great. Not too complex, but it did not have to be because it was an excellent smoking experience.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...tem=CB-DWB5646
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Devil's Weed Nicot

Nice Review! I Agree It Is A Good Smoke For An Everyday Cigar!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Nice Review! I Agree It Is A Good Smoke For An Everyday Cigar!
It's truly a great value smoke, one of CI's best.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I had one today. I think it is called the Jerez, the torpedo shaped one. What a great deal these were. I paid 31 for the box as well. Great cigar for working outside in the yard.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...thanks for sharing.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
ChicagoWhiteSox

Thanks for the review bro! Nice pictures too
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I smoked them before they were a budget smoke on CI, don't know if it's still the same blend, but I liked it back then.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review, man! Those pictures are HUGE!!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Totally agree w/ everything you said in the review - at first I thought this was more mild, but it definitely has medium notes, and some gentle spice. The price is hard to beat - I'm working through a box of Robustos now.

The story on this smoke is interesting as well - basically the Molina family, father and son, started these and it kinda went bust about 6-9 months ago, and CI bought all the stock out. Everything happened in an odd way with the Molina's not confessing to it, and then there was talk that a re-blend happened when CI got the smokes, but nobody will confirm that either - it's a good smoke w/ an interesting story.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Got a 5 pack on the way from C.B. can't wait to try one.
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Totally agree w/ everything you said in the review - at first I thought this was more mild, but it definitely has medium notes, and some gentle spice. The price is hard to beat - I'm working through a box of Robustos now.

The story on this smoke is interesting as well - basically the Molina family, father and son, started these and it kinda went bust about 6-9 months ago, and CI bought all the stock out. Everything happened in an odd way with the Molina's not confessing to it, and then there was talk that a re-blend happened when CI got the smokes, but nobody will confirm that either - it's a good smoke w/ an interesting story.
Thanks For The Info, Brother! I Always Get Suspicious When I See A "Premium" Smoke Discounted 50% Or More!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Nice review. Definitley a great smoke...and dirt cheap. I checked the CI link...I love the "CI breakdown" (from the CI site):

As I approach 2 decades in the "bidness" I’ve seen some version of this same saga unfold about a thousand times:

- Dude thinks cigar industry looks like a piece of cake.
- Dude drops life savings into startup company.
- Dude magnanimously claims he supports brick and mortar stores only, refusing to sell to "scumbag catalog discount house."
- Financial suffering for Dude begins.
- Hat in hand, Dude seeks warm embrace of CI and accompanying bailout plan.
- CI rides in on white horse with checkbook and pen ablaze, staving off personal financial armageddon for Dude at 11th hour.
- Discounting commences, and common man can enjoy a nice product for dirt cheap.
- Retail stores who only nominally supported Dude’s brand get panties in knot and yell at Dude for "selling out."
- Repeat as needed.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Picked up a box of the robustos last night on cbid. $25.00 can't beat that kind of price.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I've had reservations about these, but after reading your review I think I may check them out.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I've had reservations about these, but after reading your review I think I may check them out.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

I just picked up a box of the Churchill size for less than 20 bucks. I'd rate these on the mild side but one Hell of a value for a yard gar or for troop donations.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdix View Post
Thanks for the review, man! Those pictures are HUGE!!
Yep, could copy the fingerprints if you want . Nice review!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Just got some in yesterday, hoping they make for a good daily smoke for about $1.00 each.
How long should I have them in the Humi before trying one?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

These are a decent change of pace stick for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
How long should I have them in the Humi before trying one?
Ever heard of the rule of threes? It seems to be popular around here

You can smoke one as soon as you get them if you want. But, the general consensus is a week or two of humi time to acclimate to your storage conditions will make them smoke better.

So if you can't wait, go for it. Lots of people can't keep their hands off new cigars long enough to get them in the humidor.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote