Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Famous Smoke Nicaraguan

Since I'm currently looking at getting a bundle or two of some cheapies so I'm not blowing my whole paycheck at work, how are the Nic 3ks and Nic Maduros compared to say, Est. 1844, UHCs, or 5 Vegas, as far as some good budget smokes? Really enjoyed the UHCs so if they're anything similar I'll be all over those bad boys.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Famous Smoke Nicaraguan

I prefer the Famous Nic 5000s...is my go-go value stick. If you can let 'em sit for a 12-18 months, they are fantastic. Little less spicer than the UHC, but damn close. Better than the Est. 1844 and 5 Vegas.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

The Nic 3000's have been solid since he beginning. Nice size for normal smoking time, and good flavors. More leather, chocolate, nutty than pepper, IMO..... Which is what I prefer.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I smoke the Nic 3K torpedos all the time and enjoy them. Also, take a look at CI's AJ Fernandez overruns.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Since I'm currently looking at getting a bundle or two of some cheapies so I'm not blowing my whole paycheck at work, how are the Nic 3ks and Nic Maduros compared to say, Est. 1844, UHCs, or 5 Vegas, as far as some good budget smokes? Really enjoyed the UHCs so if they're anything similar I'll be all over those bad boys.
Bear, I would skip the EST:1844's unless you could find the earlier ones. I smoked a bunch of these at first and had to wait for the last shipment, They are not near the same IMO.I know the savy buyer can find the 601 Blues for 65'ish a box too FWIW.

I would gladly send a few 1844s your way if you'd like.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Bear, I would skip the EST:1844's unless you could find the earlier ones. I smoked a bunch of these at first and had to wait for the last shipment, They are not near the same IMO.I know the savy buyer can find the 601 Blues for 65'ish a box too FWIW.

Jared:

Can you elaborate a little on the 1844? I bought a fiver last year before the rush and really enjoyed them. I was just about to buy a box. What's changed?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jiggler View Post
Jared:

Can you elaborate a little on the 1844? I bought a fiver last year before the rush and really enjoyed them. I was just about to buy a box. What's changed?
The last "batch" I got are totally different than the first ones. A while back the supply went dry and I had open order for them, Once the new ones got here I had a old stock to compare to the new ones and there just not as sweet and flavorful. The new ones are bitter, less sweet and some of the nice things I really liked about the first ones are gone....

Some time might do wonders, I dunno.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The last "batch" I got are totally different than the first ones. A while back the supply went dry and I had open order for them, Once the new ones got here I had a old stock to compare to the new ones and there just not as sweet and flavorful. The new ones are bitter, less sweet and some of the nice things I really liked about the first ones are gone....

Some time might do wonders, I dunno.
Grrrrrr. That's a bit irritating. Is it too much to ask to find something you like that's cheap, readily available and consistent? Maybe it's time to try the 5000's. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jiggler View Post
Grrrrrr. That's a bit irritating. Is it too much to ask to find something you like that's cheap, readily available and consistent? Maybe it's time to try the 5000's. Thanks for the heads up.
'Twas always thus. First batch is great,subsequent batches are not as good to totally awful.

If you like a stick,BUY THAT BATCH !! Trusting a blend to remain the same is a fool's errand.

Ask anyone about the Patel Decade.The ONLY marcas that seem to be able to maintain their profile are:

Padron and La Flor Dominicana..........
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
The Nic 3000's have been solid since he beginning. Nice size for normal smoking time, and good flavors. More leather, chocolate, nutty than pepper, IMO..... Which is what I prefer.
Perfect, exactly my flavor profile, though I do enjoy my spicy sticks sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I prefer the Famous Nic 5000s...is my go-go value stick. If you can let 'em sit for a 12-18 months, they are fantastic. Little less spicer than the UHC, but damn close. Better than the Est. 1844 and 5 Vegas.
May get a 5ver of the 5ks then to get the order up over $50 so I can use their $10 off coupon

Quote:

I was bombed an 1844 before and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure which batch it was from. It was about 6 months ago IIRC.

No word on the Nic Maduros? They've intrigued me, especially when I see them on sale for $27 for a bundle of the churchills every now and then.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Budget smokes I enjoy:
La Aurora Series 1495
5 Vegas Miami
Gran Habano Vintage
Gran Habano Aztec
Some Pinar del Rio blends
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post

I was bombed an 1844 before and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure which batch it was from. It was about 6 months ago IIRC.
I know I sent you one, and I bought mine back in March

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Nevermind I just checked the post you made about my bomb and the 1844 wasn't on the list

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote