Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
lawman

Default Generic humidors

Thinking about stepping up from my useful though somewhat undignified "tupperdor" to a real humidor. I refuse to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on the higher end humidors as aesthetics mean nothing to me. I just want something that will take good care of my sticks.

What's the story on the generic humis that just about every online cigar vendor carries? Without a name brand to go by, it seems hard to get an apples to apples comparison between websites much less have any idea of the quality of the product. Are these things worth looking into?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Nefari0us

Default Re: Generic humidors

How many sticks are you looking to store?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
lawman

Something mid-sized...50 to 75.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Nefari0us

If you really dont care how it looks, there are a couple sites that sell humidors that are "imperfect" meaning they have a scratch or something, but function perfectly fine. I know cheaphumidors has imperfects, but I have never personally dealt with that company. You should also check cbid auctions, you might find something there for a good price
Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefari0us View Post
If you really dont care how it looks, there are a couple sites that sell humidors that are "imperfect" meaning they have a scratch or something, but function perfectly fine.
Good idea!

I would recommend Bargain Humidors. They have great sales on imperfects and from what I have gathered from the many that have purchased these "imperfects" is that they have been extremely happy and it's usually hard to tell that it is an imperfect.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
What's the story on the generic humis that just about every online cigar vendor carries? Without a name brand to go by, it seems hard to get an apples to apples comparison between websites much less have any idea of the quality of the product. Are these things worth looking into?
A lot of the humidors, not all, are imported by QI.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
Something mid-sized...50 to 75.
So you're looking for a 200-count...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

IMO just get a cooler. The humidity control I get is much better and that 50-75 will turn into 500-750 in less than 6 months time spent here. I've been here 3 months and without counting I'd gather I have somewhere around 250 cigars. When I first joined I expected to never have more than 50-75 cigars. Now I sit ~250-275 and IMO I'm "running low". There's a good 10-15 more on the way If I remember correctly.

120 quart cooler = $55 (Buy it at walmart)
2 pounds of beads = $60 (Heartfelt)
Digital Hygrometer = $20 (Heartfelt)
Total ---------- = $135

Say goodbye to seasoning, say hello to BIG OPEN SPACE!

You can store somewhere around 30-40 boxes in a 120 quart. My guess is 750 ish cigars.

Any humidor you buy if it says 300 count...you can bet it's more like 180-200. They don't account for beads or a digital hygrometer. Also they measure in smaller ring gauge cigars, less than robustos last I remember hearing.

I absolutely LOVE my cooler, my desktop humidor is nothing but problems and for a "300 count" (it's more like 180) I paid $170 or so after all the beads, hygro and shipping.

Sorry for the long post but that's what everyone told me when I got here and they were right of course.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
IMO just get a cooler. The humidity control I get is much better and that 50-75 will turn into 500-750 in less than 6 months time spent here. I've been here 3 months and without counting I'd gather I have somewhere around 250 cigars. When I first joined I expected to never have more than 50-75 cigars. Now I sit ~250-275 and IMO I'm "running low". There's a good 10-15 more on the way If I remember correctly.

120 quart cooler = $55 (Buy it at walmart)
2 pounds of beads = $60 (Heartfelt)
Digital Hygrometer = $20 (Heartfelt)
Total ---------- = $135

Say goodbye to seasoning, say hello to BIG OPEN SPACE!

You can store somewhere around 30-40 boxes in a 120 quart. My guess is 750 ish cigars.

Any humidor you buy if it says 300 count...you can bet it's more like 180-200. They don't account for beads or a digital hygrometer. Also they measure in smaller ring gauge cigars, less than robustos last I remember hearing.

I absolutely LOVE my cooler, my desktop humidor is nothing but problems and for a "300 count" (it's more like 180) I paid $170 or so after all the beads, hygro and shipping.

Sorry for the long post but that's what everyone told me when I got here and they were right of course.

But if you insist on a humidor, go twice as large as you think you need and avoid glasstops at all costs.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I am looking at an Edgestar possibly if i can find a decent one for a good price. I joined the forums thinking I would never have so many cigars. I was wrong.

Joining CA was your first mistake. lol
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
TheDudeAbides
I got an awesome sound...

First Name: Curtis
Trading: (27)
HUpmann
TheDudeAbides will become famous soon enough

http://www.compactappliance.com/TWR2...efault,pd.html

I got my Edgestar from this outfit some months back. Filled up faster than I expected.......
-Dude
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I mostly use coolerdors, but have a desktop humidor, brand name Savoy. It works very well.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote