View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yasiel Puig an All-Star?

There's been a lot of talk about this lately. He made the Final All-Star Vote.
He looks like he has a really good chance of dragging himself into the ranks, his power hitting and average are making him pretty popular right now.

Personally I don't think he should be on the ballot.
32 games is not remotely enough of a sample of his abilities. Over the years I've watched one after another rookies come screaming out of the gate, only for opposing pitchers to figure him out a couple months later.
Puig is striking out at a 1/4 clip. He hits the ball 2/5 times, but a .400ish average in a 32 game sample is something that happens all over the league all the time.
He's got 8 home runs. That's a pace to hit around 35 in a full season, a rough guess of maybe 24 for this year at this pace, which he won't keep up.
His last 10 games he's hitting at a .261 clip, with a home run, 11 runs and 5rbi's.
That's a nice line, but those numbers are extremely likely to take a big hit in the second half.

If he does anything close to remarkable in the second half, earns himself a roster spot for next year, and pulls numbers that are even close to Miggy and Chris Davis, I'd get on the bus and even root for him.

It's great to see him having a heck of a breakout. It's awesome that he's good for baseball. Regardless, 32 games do not an All-Star make. I don't care if the guy had 32 home runs in 32 games and was hitting at an .800 clip. An anomaly is an anomaly, and baseball is about patience, not immediate reward.

What do you guys think?