View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #62
Cyclone

Default Re: How fast do you drive

On the highway, I'm usually 10-20 km/h over the limit ( 100km/h = 60mph ).

Around town, I try to stay bang on the limit but find myself drifting a tad higher on occasion.

Here in BC, they have implemented new laws: If you are caught going 40+km/h (25mph) over the limit, your car is automatically impounded for 1 week...
Plus, you get a minimum fine of $360
Plus, you get hit with an extra $320/year for 3 years when you renew your auto insurance. We have government controlled auto-insurance, so it is tightly integrated with the Motor Vehicles Branch that controls the laws, etc.

So that 40+ will, at a minimum, cost you around $1320. If your speeding ticket is higher, factor that in. Also factor in, the cost of having your car stored at a towing yard for a week.

I fully agree with these rules for a$$holes speeding in the city but on the highway, you really have to keep track of the posted speed limits... If there is a construction zone posted @ 80km/h and you hit it doing 120km/h, you are screwed if a cop is around.

Drinking and driving was also reduced to 0.05 at the same time... The rules are even more draconian if you are caught.