Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus View Post
You could be right. The smoke was a little white. Not always the translucent blue/black that I was hoping for. I believe it smoked for 1.5 hours.

I didn't expect the small log to over smoke. This particular branch was only 2" x 6".

Should I allow all sides of the wood to become charred before putting food on the grill?

I normally add dry wood chips during the cook and haven't had any problems, so I assumed adding food while the log was not completely charred wouldn't be a problem.

So do you think the flavours I described were not a result of green wood?

Thanks!
It might be a little green, but hard to say from here. What sticks out to me is that's a lot of smoke wood. Different design pits work differently though, some designs it might be ok. If I were cooking, I would use probably half or a little less than half of that.

When you use chips, think about how many handfuls of chips you use, and now think about how much a handful compresses. Compare the number of compressed handfuls to that log you tossed on to get an idea.

As for char all the way around, I don't worry about that, I put the wood on and maybe bury a chunk or two in the unlit briquettes, and after the flames and heavy smoke have died down (15-20 minutes usually) I put the meat on. That's what works for me with the smoker I use. If it works for anyone else, that's a bonus.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote