View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Diesel "Unholy Coctail"

Alright, if I've learned anything so far, it's to let cigars rest a bit after receiving them. That being said, these showed up on my doorstep today, and they were just so damned beautiful I had to sin. There's only one vitola out there, so I won't bore you with the details.

Prelight: This thing is gorgeous; dark, oily, and a prelight aroma...let's just say I grew up in the county due north of Lancaster so I know that the Amish use only "natural" fertilizer. This thing smelled like a drive through Lancaster County on a bright spring day. "Barnyard" does not come close to doing it justice.

Let me regress by say I normally am not a big fan of torpedoes as I've found the draw can often be dodgy, but this one was nothing short of perfect. Not much flavor apart from tobacco on the prelight draw.

First 1/3: This kicked off with a bit of spice, which is normal, and serious double espresso. Normally, when people say "coffee," what I get is bitter, but no, this is like sitting at a cafe sipping fresh, well-made espresso. The spice quickly fades, and it is just a wonderful espresso for the rest of the third.

Second 1/3: Almost on queue, the flavor morphs into earth, raisin and dark cocoa. Wow! This baby is just doing nothing short of putting a smile on my face.

Final 1/3: Again, almost on queue, as if the cigar were saying "Please review me in thirds," the flavor changes. The earth and cocoa become serious leather which just builds stronger down to the nub. The raisin goes into pepper. Serious pepper! Black pepper, red pepper, white pepper...did I forget some colors of pepper? They were there too. I nubbed this bad boy like no tomorrow.

It did have some burn issues, but nothing to be unexpected of a smoke ROTT, and certainly nothing to detract from my one hour and 45 minute love-affair.

Value: Depending on source and resourcefulness, this can be had for $2.50 to $3.33/stick. Oh so worth it at twice the price. A new entry, and number 20 in my top 5 by my count.

I am in love with this cigar!

Would I buy it again? And again...and again...

Did I mention I loved this cigar?