View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #76
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

Cigar #5

Sorry, but I forgot to take a pic before I smoked this one.

Construction: 5x50 dark brown wrapper (maduro), looks like a mixed filler cigar. The cap is poorly constructed. I get bits of tobacco in my mouth from the pre-light draw. The wrapper and binder are firm, but the filler is very loosely rolled.

Pre-Light Draw: Salty, leathery flavors are detectable. The draw is smooth.

First Third: The first few puffs are like bitter coffee. An inch into it, the coffee flavor is still there, bitter with a very slight hint of sweetness to it. It's like drinking a large coffee with only one packet of sweetner in it. The cigar has a damp, musty quality along with the coffee flavors. Very mild so far.

Second Third: Pepper is detectable through the nose. The cigar is a little stronger at this point. The pepper was temporary and quickly dissapears. Mustiness and bitterness are dominant. Some sweetness appears at the end of the second third. Wet and musty mixed with a little sweetness.

Final Third: Bitterness and mustiness continue. The sweetness is gone.

Final Thoughts: This cigar might have potential after a long rest in the humi, but I was not a fan. It reminded me of a very mild Padilla Obsidian ROTT (Obsidians are good smokes, but they need a very long rest before they are good). This cigar is too bitter and musty for me. Maybe after some time in the humi, the sweetness will become more prominent. This is a very one-dimensional cigar.
I would guess that this was a Reyes product b/c of the mustiness, but I could be wrong. The construction and the mustiness are qualities that this cigar shares with all but one of the Reyes products that I have smoked.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote