Thread: Rolex Owners?..
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #61
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rolex Owners?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Moses,
I was under the impression my watch is built as a solid case, from the top down, as opposed to via opening the back as most watches.
I thought they built the case sort of like a boat and drop things in from the top down, making it difficult for just anyone to open them without causing markings to the case as they attempt to do so.
Yes and no. It is a solid milled case, but how would you open it then? Break the crystal, lol?

The case is opened with this:

It does require skill as you don't want to scratch the back and more importantly putting back you don't want to crimp a gasket or something. Between a solid case (not sure if they use an inner case like on some watches) and thick crystal, it's pretty solid. Older Rolex use acrlylic crystal that is softer, but more adaptable and easier to polish.

Some watches have proprietary tools to open the caseback like Baume Mercier for instance. They want to make the money on the service or least make you buy their tool.