View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #4897
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post

Had marginal success.

The one (major) negative: it was on the dry side. I smoked this hanging in the PBC to about 165*, wrapped it in foil with a half cup of beef broth & put it on the grill rack until it got to 200*. Packed it in towels in a cooler and let it sit for about 4 1/2 hours. It made a nice au jus, but the meat itself was a touch dry. It was ok doused in the juice, but it wasn't juicy on its own at all, and made the meal a little disappointing.

As I mentioned in my OP, I went with a small brisket: it was roughly 4 lbs, and what I've been told by the more experienced guys on the board since is that it's difficult, if not impossible to get a moist brisket if you 're not doing a full packer.
I don't add broth when wrapping it and I serve when it hits near 200, but actually I go by tenderness when it the temp is above 185. Depends what the brisket is "telling me". Fork does not lie.

Full packer's or even just a point cut is more difficult and expensive to find then down south.