View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #2239
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
Brad, you mention that your D100 is all over the place with metering, mine seems to be a bit off with white balance when I leave it in automatic mode. Do you have the same issue? I know that you can compensate a bit either way in the settings. Just curious to see if that's common with this model.
On the whole, neither the D70 or the D100 is very good at 'auto white balance'.
Maybe I am better suited to use the alternative, with my lifetime working in TV,
where I set the white balance manually at the start of every shoot. You simply
call up the 'pre' setting with the command dial and point the camera at something
white and half-press the shutter. (I THINK this is the way to set it, I have forgotten)
I find that you have to treat this as a much more complicated deal than we from the
Point and Shoot side are used to. You need to think about what you are about to
shoot before you go off and snap away. The three things I have found most
important with these cameras is to learn the auto-focus zones and how to move
them around with the Directional pad, and second, finding the best metering mode
for the situation, and practice is the only way to really know. Thirdly, you have to
USE THAT FILL FLASH. Your battery is going to last WAY longer than we are
accustomed to, and you should ALMOST use the flash on every shot outdoors.

I get in the most trouble when I get overly excited and just start firing away
and forgetting that maybe the clouds have come up big time and my old WB
setting is no longer valid, or I failed to look at the result on the tiny little screen
and noticed that I am shooting way hot or way dark. When I slow down and
think first about what I am shooting and what I want, and then adjust the camera
to get it ready to do it, I find I get pretty reasonable shots. After that I still have
a bad habit of shooting the rest of the day with the same basic settings. I did it in
New Orleans. I set up both cameras with a few test shots, and then shot for two
hours without caring about anything but the subject. It hurt me badly, but not
TERRIBLY.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote