Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dry boxing

We're all science-students with ongoing humidity projects! We live in the desert (Southern Nevada) and keeping humidity UP in the humidor(s) is our challenge.

As for Dry Boxing:
The same principals apply. . . GO SLOWLY! I suggest leaving the cellophane on the cigar(s) you're trying to lower the humidity (aka moisture content). Cellophane is porous and will allow humidity (moisture) in and/or out. If you remove the cellophane, you run the risk of drying the outer leaves at a different rate. When removing moisture, you could find the outer leaves (especially the wrapper) dry and the bunch (core/filler) still moist. This is what often causes the cigar to swell and the wrapper to crack and split! Be very careful to go slowly so the entire cigar & filler have the same humidity. This is VERY IMPORTANT!

If you're doing a whole box, leave the cellophane on and the lid closed. The process for an entire box can take weeks for proper changes in moisture content. While you are checking the box, I suggest you remove the cigars and "rotate" them (top to bottom. . . middle to outside. . . etc.)

Many of us use a "Dry Box" that is rigged to hold (for example) 65% RH and store the "Ready-to-Smoke" cigars in that box. Typically a separate humidor. There are humidification beads and packs (on the market now) that are designed to hold different RH levels. Drying a single cigar or a full box can be done in a cedar cigar box just as well.

Best advice is to check your cigars frequently and continue to experiment with different methods. Beware of shortcuts! Slow and steady wins the race!

Just my experience and ideas for your consideration. . .

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote