Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I did the pulled pork following the recipe Adam posted and it turned out better than I ever imagined.
Going in I thought it was going to be a fail. I figured the best case scenario would be that they would never ask me to do it again.
I was mistaken.

I substituted salt & pepper with smoked Kosher salt and smoked black pepper in the rub, and didn't use the liquid smoke or Prague Powder that were optional.
You couldn't really taste the smoke, but you could smell it.
The butt split into 2 pieces while I was taking it out of the bag, but since I was roasting in the oven, it wasn't an issue; more surface area for rub.
I couldn't detect a difference in texture, and the meat was tender and juicy.
I did cook it at 170° instead of 165°. Not sure why I didn't follow directions.
Sorry, no pics.
Glad to hear it worked out. When I did it, I also skipped the liquid smoke and the instacure #1.

Something I found that works well for smoke in recipes including sous vide, without having to resort to liquid smoke, is smoked onions. These things are sponges for smoke. Just slice up a bunch of brown/yellow onions and throw them on a lightly oiled perforated tray in your pellet grill. Set it to "smoke" - on mine that's about 168F + smoke. And just leave them. Stir them around every few hours for about 8-12 hours.

They won't fully dehydrate, but will get very thin and soft. I use these in sauces, in SV bags, etc. I've changed a few recipes that used liquid smoke to use these instead as even the best quality liquid smoke just tastes chemically weird. You can do a sh!t ton of them too, 5-6 lbs of onions will smoke dry down to a quart zip lock bag with room to spare and they last months in the refrigerator.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote