macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jambalaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
There was a good recipe or two back at "the old site".
As requested:

These are just two of the ways I make jambalaya:

Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya

3 lbs. Shrimp (50 ct. size is good) Peeled and cleaned
1 lb. Andouille Sausage
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
½ cup finely chopped celery
1 14.5 oz. can Rotel tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cups chicken stock or water
½ cup chopped green onions
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp basil
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
½ tsp chili powder
1-1/2 cup long grain rice

Slice the sausage and sauté in the oil and butter over low for about 5 minutes or until the sausage starts to brown. Add the onions, green peppers, celery and garlic and sauté until tender. Stir in the seasonings, rice, tomatoes and water. Add the shrimp and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Cook over low for about 25 minutes. About 5 minutes before the jambalaya is finished, add the green onions and parsley. Cook until the rice is done. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

This is an old family recipe and that means the measurements on the seasonings are approximate since we usually don’t measure things like cayenne pepper. We generally season until it smells and taste right. Also, this is a “Red” jambalaya (from the tomatoes) which we only do when it has shrimp or other seafood in it.

Duck & Sausage Jambalaya (For the more adventurous)

1 duck, cut into pieces
Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder
Flour
¼ cup oil
1 lb. Andouille sausage, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp basil
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups long grain rice
1 can beer
1 cup chicken broth
1-1/2 cup water

(It takes a little more prep time, but I usually remove the bones from the duck before starting. Otherwise you can brown the duck, let it cool a little and then remove the meat from the bones and cut into bite size pieces.) Season the duck with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Dredge in flour and fry over medium heat until brown in a cast iron dutch oven or heavy aluminum pot. When brown, remove the duck from the pot and quickly add the sausage, onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender. Stir constantly to keep the flour (that was on the duck) from burning. Put the duck back in the pot, cover and cook on low for about 30 minutes. (if you didn’t debone the duck before browning, now is when you’ll need to remove the meat from the bones)

Add the seasonings and the rice and stir until thoroughly mixed. Add the beer, chicken broth and water. Cover and cooked over low heat until rice is done.