View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default College Hoops Thread '10-'11

OK, you asked for it . . . or at the least, did not NOT ask for it . . . so here I go. Keep in mind that I could write 10 pages here as a preview, thus both wearing out my fingers and my welcome, but will limit myself in this initial post with a quick overview of the Top Ten Pre-season picks. Feel free to add your own comments, or ask about any other team, or request that I expand and justify any of my own remarks. And now, let's get to it:

#1 - Duke: Can the Blue Demons repeat as National Champions? Yes, they can. Will they? No way. This is not meant as a diss on Dook. They have a very good squad, and have to be favored in the ACC, at least until somebody proves otherwise. Barring disaster, you could safely pencil them into the field of 68 today. But repeats are hard, even for a team that dominated the previous year. Duke played well, but did not dominate. And though they added some excellent talent (perhaps more true talent than they lost), they will miss the size and experience they DID lose. Plus, although Singler is reportedly fully recovered from his off-season surgery, it still highlights the point that this team is one pulled hammie from contender to pretender.

#2 - Michigan State: Up until a few days ago, the Spartans were my pre-season pick to take it all this year . . . at last. Partly it's the team itself, partly it's respect for Izzo's skills, but mainly it's because I think they are due. If you go to the well often enough (think Carolina in 2007, 2008, and 2009), you're gonna get wet eventually. But there are some noises already coming out of East Lansing. Lucious is, for some reason, on Izzo's $#!+list, and won't play in their opener . . . at least. Plus, it seems that somebody always gets hurt on that team, which happens often, and especially in the brutal Big Ten. So now, ask me again come March.

#3 - Kansas State: No disrespect intended, but they're gonna hafta prove it to me, since I've heard this tale before. Yes, they have some real good players, and have again managed to lure another potential lottery pick to the other Manhattan. Yet until they actually DO something beside have a good year, I ain't buying any.

#4 Ohio State: To a degree, albeit a significantly lesser one, I feel much the same about the Buckeyes. Yes, they can contend for the conference. Yes, they can make a run in March. But will they be playing on the third weekend? Ehhhhhh . . . I'd guess not.

#5 Pittsburgh: And here's another team that has a history of disappointing expectations and fans. It seems every year we hear how powerful and deep are the Panthers, and it also seems that most years it's somebody else who comes out as the Beast of the East. So you see, the K-State Wildcats should not feel like I'm picking on them, for they are not the only . . . uh, "felines".

#6 Villanova: And the kits just keep on coming. These Wildcats haven't done much since they knocked off Georgetown for the crown 25 years ago, and though I like the team, the coach, and the school, they need to step up some day.

#7 Kansas: This one is a harder call. The season for the Jayhawks may hinge on whether or not their top recruit Josh Selby is ever cleared to play. As his problem is one of academics, it is possible that he might miss the first half of their season yet be eligible for the second . . . and a run at all the marbles. But KU's best shot at another trophy might have been last year, and they were not able to show up to play.

#8 North Carolina: Last year the Heels began the season ranked #7, and finished it ranked #2 . . . in the NIT. I can predict with some degree of confidence that UNC will have a better year than was their previous campaign. However, for all these "experts" to say that Harrison Barnes is the 2nd-best player in the country, the predicted #1 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, and the first freshman . . . EVER!! . . . to be named pre-season first-team All-American, before he's even played one damn second of college ball . . . please. Hey, as a Tar Heel myself, I wish the kid all the luck in the world, and hope he is a good as everybody says. But give me, and him, a break!

# 9 Florida: Billy Donovan's Gators haven't made much noise lately, so maybe they are due. With potential problems at Kentucky and Tennessee, and with Missouri being their only other "serious" competition in the SEC, it might be a year when the Gators CAN snap and growl. As for Billy himself . . . he's never stopped making noise, so I ain't worried on that score.

# 10 Syracuse: Last year the Orange began the season off of everyone's radar, and ended up near the top of the heap. This year they start off getting a fair amount of respect, and are thus set up to disappoint their fans. Don't misunderstand . . . Boeheim has some players, and his zone will always win a few games he maybe should not win. But it always loses him a few too. Also, he's not going to sneak up on any of the "haves" this year, and some of the Big East "have-nots" are improved.

The above is based on the pre-season AP poll, so if you're wondering about teams ranked in the Top 10 in other polls, like Kentucky and Purdue, then that's why. In short, regarding these two, UK won't be as good as they were last year, even if the NCAA clears Enes Kanter to play, and Purdue, who was a favorite to win it all last year until Robbie Hummel went down with his injury has already lost Hummel for the season.

If you have any questions or quarrels with the above, or if you want to know about YOUR team, or if you want to know if any mid-major will be "Butler-esque" this year, or if you merely have your own to toss into the pot, please please feel free. Just like the sport itself, it's only a game, and it is supposed to be fun for one and all. Enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote