View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #58
lou2row

Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #5

Construction: 5.5x58 light brown wrapper (I assume it's a Connecticut Shade), very solid

Prelight: Tastes like dry hay and has a barnyard aroma

I normally break my reviews down into thirds, but I'm doing it in two halves this time, as I didn't have anything to write down my thoughts while smoking. I smoked this one while watching my son's first scrimmage game.

1st half: Very complex. I detected sweetness, butter, caramel, confectioner's sugar, and honey. Near the end of the first half I detected nutty flavors.

2nd half: The second half was very nutty with hints of butter. Very creamy and smooth.

Final Thoughts: I liked this cigar. It wasn't nearly as mild as I predicted. Very enjoyable, but I wish I had smoked it early in the morning rather than in the afternoon. This stick would have paired well with coffee (with cream and sugar).

EEE's take:
Pre-light. Nice. Very nutty - in between the sweetness of almonds and the tang of walnuts. My taste bud memory tells me I have smoked this cigar before.

Initial draw - nice construction, easy flow but not loose. Aroma is quite pleasant. Taste is a little bland but that doesn't hurt anything.

1st third - I find that either the cigar is bitter, the Yuengling is bitter or the mixture of the two is bitter - either way, I've got a bitter taste going on. I decide to hold off on drinking any more of my beer and see where this leads.

2nd third - It was the mixture. Now I've got a nice flow of almost syrup sweetness going - not the Aunt Jamima too rich for human consumption syrup, but the real maple syrup from the NorthEast. MMmmmm...

Final third - the sweetness doesn't leave but it has mellowed out and I am just kicked back looking over the ocean enjoying the remaining parts of this cigar. I really wish I had another one as I'm smoking it so I could go light it up. The aroma from the cigar lingers in the patio and it is a great smell.

I look forward to hearing what this cigar is. The construction, burn and flavor on this is definitely worth looking into.

Above average!

#5 is a cigar that has it's followers. I am one of them. I have enjoyed each of Alex Fernandez's incarnations in this series. I have these in a couple sizes, and have caught them on auction very reasonable for the quality you get. I'm glad you both enjoyed this.

Cigar #5 is:

La Cuna bin no. 85