View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default La Tribu Gran Corona

I stumbled over La Tribu when searching around on the Atlantic website. They started off there as the "Mystery Cigar" last year but have now opened up to quite a colorful story on the website that I initially pegged for BS. Long story short this is a house blend, and you always hear this but this is not your regular house blend.

Shape: Grand Corona
Size: 5 5/8 x 46
Strength: Medium - Full
Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper Type: Ecuadorian Habano
Color: Colorado
Binder / Filler: Nicaragua / Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
Grade: Hand Rolled / Long Filler

These cigars are well packed and have a perfect triple cap applied. The wrapper is nice, thick, and oily. I don't do the pre light crap but when wetting the cap the wrapper is very spicy and settles warm in my stomach.

The 1st part of the cigar has a spice that reminds me of a CC, sorry to say it but yes it does. Again the spice is warm and settles in my stomach instead of being in the back of my throat or tongue. When smoked ROTT the 1st part is all spice and the aroma is a very good balance of light wood and sweetness. The samples I had resting for a few months had a sweet berry flavor under the spice.

The 2nd part either I become accustomed to the spice or it goes into the background. But this is where the cigar becomes very complex and hard to pin flavors down. There is cream and fruit I can tell but also a salty note there as well.

The last part is where I question who the hell made this cigar and where did it come from because there are strong basic CC notes of cream and sweetness that are not Dominican or Nicaraguan (just saying). The finish is long at this point but it's clean and fruity, spicy, and has a bread note as well.

In the end I can't get enough of these cigars because they are never boring. After about 10 I am still trying to figure it out. I have researched the crap out of this cigar and found that they may have been produced by Intercigar who appears to be a Holland based company that has a factory in the Dominican Republic. If you like the Quesada Espana I think you will also like the a Tribu.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote