Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #710
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Moses, do you buy all your bottled online? Or do you have a phenomenal distributor in Boston?
Modern bottles are bought locally or online; being shipped to me in the fall or spring. There's some good online vendors for older stuff like HDH, Zachy's, Acker, Rare Wine Company; just to name a few.

I buy a lot of stuff at auction and have been doing so well over a decade. Always big gamble at auction and you should know what you are doing. I'd suggest a narrow focus and research on any Lot you may be interested in. I do both live an online auctions. Live auctions can yield the best results, but take the most amount of time and quick thinking. There could be a wine I wasn't initially interested in, but when it is up and no one bids on it, I will bottom feed and throw a low ball bid.

Some stuff I buy is from a distributor/importer who also buys out estates I am friends with. There's a couple of distributors that let me buy at their wholesale price which helps.

Other bottles are just from people I meet who have cellars they are clearing out.