View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rattray old gowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Wow it looks a lot more like Crystal's than plume.
It is easy to tell mold on pipe tobacco, it is furry/fuzzy. It is cool to see the crystals from the sugar/oil combination as it ages. It is really cool to see live, especially under a magnifying glass. The crystalline structures are way cool.

I had a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer 1994 that I opened and almost fainted. Most of the broken flakes were white, and as I saw them upon opening the tin I was thinking, "Awww crude, mold!" And then I looked more closely and it was tiny crystals all over.

There is a chemical reaction that takes place is certain tobaccos which are naturally high on the sweetness scale, Virginias being the top of that list. What appears to happen is that the oil/sugar meld in such a way that a chemical reaction causes the stuff to rise to the surface in crystalline form. It is just cool looking.

And I have found that the tobaccos which have had this happen are incredibly tasty.

That is just my $0.02.

Peace of the Lord be with you.