View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #65
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Phew. I’m glad to hear this. Thanks!
"Phew" sort of. Let me add some elements of alarm. Unlike Frick and Frack stumbling on the beaches with their pipes and cognacs, I am an actual Old Fart who is here to pop your bubbles..

You can drop a cigar on the driveway and probably not miss a beat; drop a fine briar or meerschaum pipe outside and you might get sick.

A pipe does require a certain amount of hardware in hand. Face it - most of us carry purses that we cleverly call manbags or camera cases. There are pouches of tobacco to consider (optional, once a pipe is filled and ready to go for a walk); a pipe tool/tamper; and the odd pipe cleaner in case you get to gurgling. And, of course, matches or a lighter.

It is said new briar pipe should never be smoked where a breeze is present. A slight breeze across a bowl can damage the pipe until it is well broken in (i.e., has a carbon-cake developed inside the bowl). I wouldn't be worried about a cob or a meer in that respect.