View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to protect humidors from winter dry ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It would be greatly helpful if you could tell us a bit more about the humidors & coolers, like approximate size, how full, and what type of humidification source you are currently using and how much. Also, if you are going by hygrometer readings, have you tested / calibrated your hygrometer?

Such being said, assuming that your humidors and coolers don't leak like sieves, the general fix is to add additional humidification capacity. If you are using beads, add more beads. Or you could add a few waterpillows or a jar of gel such as Humi-Care or Cigar Mechanic. If it's a credo (the foam thing in the plastic case that you charge with PG/H2O solution), if you must keep it, add a jar of gel or pillows, although the best solution would be to throw them out and get beads. It's likely we can rule out active humidification for your humidors & coolers as if it functioning properly, you shouldn't have any issues unless it severely undersized for the space - in which case, fix it, replace it or get a larger one.
I have a coolerdor and three tupperdors two big and one small. Coolidor has two pounds of beads big tupperdor has a pound and each of the smaller ones have a half pound each. All have more than the required amount according to Scotts directions. All of my space is pretty full, from close to full up to 4-5 inches at the top of the biggest container. They are all air tight and hold pretty well. Historically I have used humidors in the winter and that was a nightmare. Pretty much daily checkups on everything to maintain humidity and still having some drops. This is my first full winter with the current setup and I guess I am just leery due to the history of low humidity issues in my house.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote