Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some input

Vic's setup is really close to mine; Macap grinder and a HX E61 machine.

With an E61 brewgroup, you have brewgroup that weighs more than most machines do and besides a cooling flush before pulling a shot, very little to worry about once you get dialed in. I doubt you'll find anyone who will tell you they are looking to upgrade their heat exchange E61 machine, regardless of who made it. Once you get into that price range, it comes down to small cosmetic issues and the decision will be made on stuff like guages and cup warmers and plumbing in my opinion. It's also a really good time to make sure you are getting what you really will be happy with.

For a grinder, I chose the Macap for a few reasons like cord placement, cleaner doser sweep, and most importantly; a worm drive adjuster to satisfy my OCD tendencies. My finger was on the "buy now" button on the Mazzer a couple times though.

In my opinion, for home or small cafe use, that's a really hard to beat combo.

I got my Macap for around 500 bucks from Wholelatttelove and upgraded from a Gaggia MDF grinder, which was supposedly a small step below the Rocky grinder, who knows.

The difference is night and day between the grinders and the machine replaced a Baby Gaggia, which I feel is also a step or two below the Silvia.

The difference now is consistent and perfect shots that allowed me to entertain on Thanksgiving without missing a beat.

Whatever you decide, it takes time and money to figure out how to get the shots you like and, if you're like me, you'll never be completely satisfied.

Do it right the first time and don't look back. It ain't a crime to be good to yourself.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, I think you should move up from the Rocky.

Last edited by floydpink; 11-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote