Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
So much good food, I had to order one. Just got it today. Any suggestions on what to start with? I'm thinking a large amount of brisket or pork. What would be easiest?

I'll have to buy a giant plastic container tomorrow and probably one of those Lodge cast iron pans.

I've found the results to be more impressive with larger, tough roast type cuts. Like chuck roast or the various rounds. They take 18-20 hours to cook (at 131-135F) but they come out so different than how you could get them any other way. There is also something to be said about a 2" thick steak cooked to a perfect medium or medium rare all the way through without the "bullseye" effect. Something that dries out easily like pork chops or boneless chicken breast is also a good demonstration of the process.

That's where I leave off though. I only see this process as another tool, it's certainly not the be-all, end-all.

To me, things like pork butt or brisket, I can get way, way better results with my smokers. Plus, everyone knows that the ONLY true good use of brisket and navel is pastrami. Fish, shellfish, etc. - much better results with my pellet cooker than the whirlpool. Of course, YMMV.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote