Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #97
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I have never damaged a pipe during transport ....
I, unfortunately, have broken a pipe while using a cigar caddy (poorly packed). Keep the pipes in the sock they came in, inside a pipe box. Most of the time, you can fit two pipes in one box. Then put the box in a big enough cigar caddy. If you have a long bit pipe that you think is rather fragile, take the bit out of the pipe as well.
I travel all the time and take about a 25 count cigar caddy, I can fit 4 pipes (in 2 boxes), plus a few tins/tubs, a bunch of cleaners, a pipe stand (the little plastic single pipe holder kind), a tamper, matches, and plenty of room for small ziploc baggies. When I'm gone, it's normally for around 3 weeks, and that one caddy will easily last me the entire trip.
Do NOT put a pipe rolling around loosely in a cigar caddy along with tins of tobacco. they slide around, next thing you know, the tin bumps into the pipe too hard, or combo of pipe bumping inside the caddy and then hit by the tin at the same time = broken pipe stem.

they do make a cigar case with inserts designed for pipes. "uncle mikey" use to have it.
Curly Cut is offline   Reply With Quote