YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Shuriken cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydisilvio View Post
actually this guy...yeah he would. he owns 3 very large and successful shops and has a history of saying when there's something that's just a gimmick if he doesn't think it's great. and if it actually sucked he wouldn't buy any for the shop.

well, this guy isn't someone i normally buy from. i'm canadian and he's an american shop owner on the opposite coast. he knows he's not gonna get hardly any orders from me because a canadian mail-ordering cigars is far too expensive. he's also not someone who believes in selling someone something he doesn't feel they could use. he's old school, so he believes more in creating a good reputation based on selling people something they will be happy with.

well, since that's not the only definition of "gimmick", it's hard to assume that's what people mean when they seem to be using it in a dismissive context. the way a few people on the thread were using it, the definition of "a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal" since those who called it a gimmick seemed to be saying "i don't see the need for it because..." i mean, really, if you assume the definition you've quoted then nearly every accessory ever made is a gimmick. it didn't sound like that was some others' opinions.

i'm not naive enough to think i can change someone's opinion, but instead just voice my own. i was just stating why i thought it was a good idea to buy.

well...it works as a cutter or it doesn't. that's not really a matter of opinion. whether or not people like how it works certainly is though. i can respect that.
Thanks for enlightening all of us.