Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #28
The Hulk
Ain't nuttin but a peanut

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Deployed)
The Hulk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fitness advice available

With your goals I would definitely do cardio. Now if you were bulking it would depend on your body fat on what kind and how much cardio you would do. Now I'm not sure if you need to run for your job or not, but the best cardio ive found for pure fat burning is either an elyptical at a high incline or a treadmill set to 15 incline at a 3.5 speed. In about 30 minutes I can usually burn around 600 calories. The treadmill keeps me at a consistent pace and normally will keep my heart rate at my target heart rate. The problem with running for me is I can't keep a consistent heart rate.

What I would suggest is after weight training do 30 mins of the treadmill cardio I mentioned. Also this sounds crazy to some people, but ensure you are working out your legs. People don't realize that your body releases an enormous amount of testosterone when you work legs. This will help that upper body grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Tyler-

What is your stance on cardio with weight training? I am trying to build lean upper body mass with weight training 3 or 4 times a week and keeping my longer runs going 3 days a week. One day completely off. I want to keep the fat loss going on weight training days so I am trying to fit in a short run of just 2-3 miles before lifting. Is it ok to do those runs at high intensity? I do not want to compromise my weight training.