View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #2372
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Just prepped and seasoned up 9 racks of BBR's for the smoker in the morning.

This time I'm actually going to try to do them right by foiling them so they don't get dry at all on the outside. Is there an exact science as to when is the best time to do that? I'm not saucing them up as they're going to be Atkins friendly.
Not an exact thing... but the rule of thumb I learned is:

At 225-230

Spares 3/2/1
BBs 2.5/1.5/.5

The first number is on the smoker uncovered. The next number is wrapped in foil and back on the cooker. The last number is a variable. I open the foil and that is my finishing time. I like the rub to set back up and not be too moist. Some folks use this as time in a cooler to finish.

After you have cooked ribs for a while you may find that you adapt that a bit. I pretty much cook them to the color I want then foil (usually right about three hours or so). Then I cook them two more hours. Then I start checking them every 15 minutes or so until they are the doneness I am looking for.