Thread: Charcoal Sale
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #26
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Charcoal Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
While I am fully aware that I'm responding to 3+ month old posts here...

Excel, while I've never seen "Best Choice" brand out here, if it is in fact "Royal Oak" as Brad says it is (I have no reason to doubt him, I'm saying I've never researched it myself since you typically can't buy it here) you should be able to find Royal Oak at Wal-Mart.

One thing to watch for when you buy Royal Oak, and that is that you have to check the country of manufacture on the bags. It's made in 4 different countries now, and supposedly, according to NakedWhiz some of the foreign stuff is crap. I've only used the USA manufactured and have no complaints for the price. Unlike a lot of other lump in that price class, RO isn't made from kiln dried scrap trimmings (ie: fast burning and flavorless).
Very true. I have a Big Green Egg and swear by the USA made Royal Oak lump charcoal from WalMart. Never any scrap pieces and I can get 4+ 450* cooks out of about a half a bag or less. Royal Oak also manufactures the Big Green Egg brand.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote