View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: CAMPING GEAR Recommendations

Finally, something I know a little about...

I try to buy one new camping essential every year, as I can afford better stuff now than before.

Tent: I have been thrilled with Alps Mountaineering. I have a 3 person tent, which sleeps 2 comfortably, and 2 roomy exterior vestibules for the gear. I also pack a couple tarps to lay down inside the vestibule area to keep my gear dry. I really wanted something lightweight, aluminum poles (never had good luc k with fiberglass), a FULL rain fly, etc.

Link:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...-tents/extreme

Sleeping Pad: Nemo Tuo. It's a dual layer, so you inflate the bottom layer fully to protect from the harsh stuff on the ground. Then there's an upper layer that is adjustable. You can inflate it a little for a soft feel, or fully for more firmness. Combined with a cot, it's VERY comfortable. Even without the cot, it's amazing.

Link: http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Tuo+Luxury

Sleeping Bag:

Honestly, I've only used Coleman. I don't camp in the winter, so I don't need a super heavy sleeping bag.

Flashlight: Fenix TK11.

Headlamp: LEDLenser H7.

I just got an Ultra Survival Elite bracelet from Broken Art Custom Murals and Design (on facebook). It's a nice safeguard that I can wear out in the sticks.

It has this stuff weaved up in the paracord:

"Each bracelet will have 12-18 feet of cord
1 striker (ferro) bar
1 P38 can opener
1 sewing needle
1 exacto razor blade
20 feet of "dual duty" cotton thread
30 feet of braided spider wire line
2 no. 10 fish hooks
3 split shot weights.
That's 13 total pieces plus a highly reflective chrome buckle"