View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To You, What Constitutes A "Short Run" Or "Limited Edition"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44stampede View Post
This is a very good summary.

Numbers wise I have to say somewhere that it is relatively difficult to get a hold of one but not impossible. What number that is I have no idea. I wouldn't even know where to start guessing how many premium cigar smoker there are out there for this kind of market.
That's a big part of what I was wondering.
I'd think the industry has crunched the demographic to death and has a good idea how many smokers of premium cigars there are, and where the line is on how much to produce to create and maintain enough fervor to make stuff jump off the shelves.
Being that there's not a lot of cohesion between makers like Fuente, Pete, J. Drew, etc., those numbers are probably either sought after or highly guarded.
Pete's a master at this, and whoever makes Viaje stuff seems to be on the ball. Johnathan seems to be doing well, but that might be because he's an upstart in this niche and he's really busting his ass to put out a perfect product, slowing production. (which is awesome, Jon.)
Fuente's seemed to have a lock on this forever with Anejo and Opus, but the last year or two the shelves always seem to be full of both, and they're cranking out new vitolas to try to shore up the balance they screwed up by flooding the market.
Or else their market share is slipping a bit with so many highly regarded blends hitting the shelves the last couple years?
Those are just my thoughts on this stuff, or the feel I get from watching. That's why I like to hear what you guys think.