Thread: Hurricane Sandy
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
I'm not terribly worried about my house, but I live on an Island, with one way on and one way off. Back in 92, the bridge was covered in water, and there was no on/off which is the bigger concern. If anything happens we would have no way to leave or get help.
I guess this will be worse than 92, not sure what you got back then, trop storm force or less?
This looks like a sho nuff Category 1 or better, probably not more owing to the cold water under
the storm, but you are correct in that there will be no way on or off for a good while. What's worse
is that depending on the construction of the bridge, it could be destroyed like the bridge in NO they
called the twin spans, crossing the short side of Lake Pontchartrain. The surge lifted the concrete
road bed and it's longditudinal supports off of the bridge piers themselves and just floated them off to
where they sank to the bottom of the lake. That bridge was closed for years. Hopefully your bridge
span is securely attached in all ways to it's supports. ANd again, I am thinking about all of you and
hoping for your safety.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote