Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmokin View Post
So... my wife had it in her head that she didn't want me to have a smoker. So, I was thinking I would try smoking on the great gas grill I already have. But the more I read and heard about this, the less excited I was. It just wasn't going to compare. So... we compromised and I bought a great Weber 22.5" charcoal grill... PLUS, I have the Smokenator coming in the mail!!!

http://smokenator.com/ I could not be any more excited.

I was REALLY hoping that the Smokenator would show up in the mail today, but no dice. Now... with us going to the shore for Labor Day weekend, I will probably have to a wait a full TWO WEEKS before I get to use this beautiful new setup... SUCKS!

My plan is to smoke my first Pork Butt... maybe two. I've been looking for good rub recipes all over the net. The reason I'm thinking to make to is to be able to do one on the sweeter side, and one on the spicier side. Any exceptional Pork Butt rub recipes would be appreciated.

At the end of the day, the smokinator isn't all that different than what a few of us are doing with firebricks in our Weber's. My two main recommendations are to mark your vent positions on the shield around the vent handle with a marker (if you have an OTG) or right on the side of the grill body with one of the silver markers (if you have an OTS). Mark your vents at 25%, 50%, 75% and the moment the vane clears and you get 100% open.

Two - don't be afraid to close the vent down to 0% if you need to keep temps down. The weber one-touch kettles leak air, so 0% on the inlets won't actually kill your fire.

As for recipes, here are some on the Virtual Bullet site to get you started:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#pork

Most of those recipes adapt to the modified kettle smokers quite well, except for the vent positions (temps are the same, vent positions aren't),
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote