T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Smoking cheese

Steve, looks good.

If you want more smoke out of it, try taking the foil out from under the cheese, arrange the cheese grate so it doesn't allow contact to the weber grate, and move the smoke canister down to the coal grate. You'll get a better flow of smoke across the cheese with the top vent opposite the canister. Might not even need to crack it since most grills leak.

I run about 4 hours per batch (10-12lbs), flipping the cheese over and reloading the pellet maze half way. I also found that 5oz +/- blocks are kind of the magic size on my setup. 8oz and there is too much distance to the core where the smoke doesn't penetrate. Too thin and they get over smoked in a hurry, although I often intentionally use this tactic for smoked cheese dishes (ie: mac & cheese, sauces, etc). Since you are shredding and probably melting all of it, the oversmoked cheese can be mixed in with unsmoked cheese to achieve the smokiness level you want for the final product.

Heavier smoke typically also means the cheese needs to sit longer in the vacuum bags to mellow a bit. A few weeks to a few months usually before I open the bags.

Still owe you some photos, but haven't been able to use my setup for two months now because of the high temps and now the fires. Up until a few days ago, I could just leave a block of cheese outside and it would smoke itself just sitting there.

Last edited by T.G; 09-22-2020 at 11:57 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote