View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question about sizes

For most I would think anything over 48 or 50 ring would be considered large/big.

Gerard is right. Conversely bigger ring smokes may have more filler that doesn't have much flavor.

Think of a baking recipe. If it has 150 parts total and you get flavor from 3 types you find a balance. Lets say each is 50 parts. Well if you want the same recipe to be physically larger (300 parts) you might think you would keep the same ratio (100 parts each) , but often it doesn't work out that way. You may end up having 80, 120, and 100 to get the same flavor. Some might keep the 50, 50, 50 and add a fourth filler (100) that has less flavor to strech the recipe.

So, while the brand and marca might be the same, the blend on each vitola is different. It is believed that most blenders use the corona vitola to blend to. If I understand it correctly the other vitolas are made in an attempt to maintain the flavor in the master (corona) blend.