View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #4224
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Dammit Mark I thought I was over my turkey cravings for this weekend! That bird looks damn good!
Thanks Michael. Tasted good too! As side dishes, we had sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and gravy made from the turkey drippings

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
Beautiful looking bird Mark. I used the side firebox for our Thanksgiving bird as I do most years. Trouble maintaining temp this year because we were low 30s and a stiff wind. Fortunately I started at 06:30 so the bird was finished at 13:30. 25 pounds of charcoal plus three apple logs over 7 hours for an 18 pound turkey.

Only problem I have with doing turkey this way is I always end up with skin that's more leathery than crisp. But I can't imagine going back to oven roasting and losing the flavor I get now.
Thanks Tim. That sounds like some challenging weather conditions to do a bird in. It was in the 60*s out this way, overcast with clouds threatening of rain. Fairly easy smoking conditions. I agree with you, pretty had to revert back to the gas oven for this annual meal