View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #51
wdwkelly

Default Re: Scotch's that wont break the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
really? And you based this provocative statement on what evidence?
Evidence..... There is a great youtube site.."ralfy" he is from scotland..Hell have all the answers you'll ever need to hear. As for Me? I was stationed at Lakenheath AFB from 1992-1995 Even though it was England, I learned a lot about Scotch. The only folks that drank blends then, over there.. were folks that just didn't have a lot of$$ Single malts were popular..but NOT near as popular as today, Especially peated scotch from Isaly and Campbeltown.
I have gone back to the U.K. every few years ever since..and really...the only dynamic that has changed is the immense popularity of Islay scotch....and for good reason.. Look at it this way.....those cigars you can get at a filling station....we all know they aren't premium sticks....blends are kinda like those station cigars. But, it you ever want to venture to Islay or Speyside....Campbeltown...i've been there on the dime of the U.S. Air Force...and single malts are the only game in town.
Enjoy what you want... but seriously..listen to ralfy..he is quite the character....but so in the loop.
Someone mentioned expensive Johnny Walker....well...some gurkhas are expensive....but they are still rubbish.

Goodness....Time to move on.. Drink those blends....someone has to.

Last edited by wdwkelly; 02-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.