Thread: nice rums?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #107
Wanger

Default Re: nice rums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romwarrior View Post
Went by Hi Time Wines today and grabbed a bottle of Zaya (Trinidad) and Zacapa 23. My first of either of these. Had the Zaya tonight with a Monte Edmundo. Boy, the Zaya is a vanilla-fest. It had a tag on it saying "The world's best sipping rum." Maybe so, but the truth is that to me the vanilla overpowered everything else. It reminded me of a vanilla rum my uncle used to drink in his rum and Coke. I will probably not have Zaya while smoking. It probably is a great sipping rum, just not with cigars, at least for me. Of course if you like vanilla then the Zaya would be right up your alley.

I did try the Zacapa 23 afterwards. Now that is more like it. So smooth and much more to my tastes. I am definitely no rum expert, but it was no contest. Zacapa 23 by a mile.
Trinidad Zaya sucks compared to the old stuff from Guatemala. I've had them side by side, and I don't notice the vanilla anywhere near as much in the Guat version, which is also appreciably smoother than the Trinidad version. I'm very disappointed with how they screwed up this once top notch rum.