Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
fortunately you discovered the infestation before it caused major damage
And I think that is upmost in the discussion of beetles and cigars.

I don't have a large collection of smokes. So I can go through my whole collection, stick by stick, in around 30 minutes. Most of those horrible pics you see were of cigars that have been left alone for some while. That is the real danger with dealing with beetles. If you go through your cigars regularly, you will be able to catch any traces of beetles. I know there are a good number of BOTL's who's collections may not be huge, so IMO beetles are not a great risk to them. If you see one you will be able to kill it and more than likely save the stick or two it made a hole in.

But there are also those BOTL's who have loads of cigars, boxes, etc. In those cases a box may not be opened for a year or more. That is when beetles can become a real problem to your collection. These unchecked "aging" boxes become a literal feeding/breeding gorund for tobacco beetles.

Freezing is a great precaution and preventative step in maintaining sanity about your smokes. But if your collection is small to begin with, you will probably smoke through or examine by happenstance the sticks you have before they become a problem.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote