View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

here's a review i wrote way back in '07 or '06...

as a newbie, i tried Rattrays Hal o' the Wynd, which is excellent in its own right. on my return trip to the shop, i told them i wanted something with more kick, so they tossed me a tin of SG Bracken Flake (which i also reviewed), and that REALLY had a lot more kick.

i had learned shortly thereafter that Bracken Flake was almost identical to 1792 Flake except that there's an additive to 1792 called "tonquin".
well, the tin aromas are very distinct, that's for sure. when i first opened the Bracken, i loved the aroma. with the 1792, i thought i was in trouble, wasn't what i was groovin on...

well, i'm about halfway through the tin, and it's still a little too moist to give it a fair review. the tonquin additive takes some getting use to, and the 1792 does pack a pretty good nicotine whallop for those of you who need a good nic kick in the pants.

i have a small bowl i keep by my tins that i put moist baccy in to let dry out for a while. last night, i finally tried some erinmore flake (like nyquil in tobacco form - but wasn't bad), and there was a pinch worth left in the bowl. so, when i took out the 1792, i just put it in the bowl, mixed it all up and stuff my pipe with it.

so, not a fair review as it's still a little moist and mixed with leafy nyquil (erinmore flake).

this was the first time i've been able to smoke the 1792 without constant relights, and it made tons of smoke (that my wife actually likes the room note ). the ash was nice and soft, white as could be. the pipe i'm using for these "lakeland flakes" is not sufficiently broken in, so the edges didn't burn all the way, but no big deal.

flavors? well, hard to describe, but they take getting use to, that's for sure. you can really taste the tonquin when you smoke it. gives a nice tingle on the tongue, never any "bite" though. does hit you in the gut with the nicotine, it's strong stuff. really wish i could describe this, it's like a dark spice, kinda musty, like imagining someone smoking in an old attic on the finish.

will give another update when the tobac dries to where it's best.

if i had to give it a rank from 1-10, this would be a 7 for me. not bad at all, but you have to really groove on the tonquin flavor for it to be ranked any higher. you can't bash on the quality of the leaf, the thickness of the flakes, the burning qualities and all that - just the flavor is either for you, or it's not. and i'm on the fence so far, maybe when it dries out a bit more i might lean more toward an 8 rating.
it's recommended - you have to try a tin once, maybe you'll love it.