Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cast Iron Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Should be the other way around... What the f do they know? It's great for many things, but does not respond good to sudden heat changes and is not the best for cooking liquids unless it's enamalized.

Remember to just wipe off or use as little water as possible to clean. Heat and scrape off works well and then just oil it.
Water in cleaning isn't the issue. Soap is the no-no for cast iron. My typical cleanup is super hot water in pan/pot for 10 minutes or so, then wipe it out with a non-soap dishrag. If my stove is still hot, or if I'm cooking on coals, I add water to the level of whatever was cooked, then set it back on fire/heat to get water hot. Been cleaning this way for 30+ years. Only thing is, you can't put the water in it, and walk away and forget it. One day in water, and you will find yourself re-seasoning in a hurry!

For those interested in learning more, and with great recipes and links, go to the International Dutch Oven Society's site at: www.IDOS.com

I found that site in the 1990's while a scout leader, and doing a lot more dutch oven cooking than I currently do. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years. It appears that it may be a pay site to get to most of the good stuff. That's a shame. But if you are really into Dutch Oven cooking, it is probably well worth the price!