Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Iced Tea

I think the question was to sugar free teas. I also love sweet tea but stay away from it now. Here are some suggestions.

Moroccan Tea:
1 bag mint (or peppermint) tea
1 bag green (or oolong) tea
Brew as instructed. When hot, add a little honey if you want. Sweeten with a mixture of Splenda and another sweetner of you choice (use splenda and one other, the combo of two sweetners makes for better taste).

Low-Sugar Sweet Tea
1 bag black tea
dash of honey (again, not needed but honey goes a long way compared o sugar).
splenda+other sweetner to taste (same reason as above).
Brew as imstructed, sweeten when hot. Put in fridge.

You can also add lemon slices during brewing to the above for lemon ice tea.

Finally, if you like arnold palmers, use the low-sugar sweet tee above with sugar free lemonaid. I make my own using the sweetner mix mentioned above, a dash of honey and lemon juice from gourmet markets like wholefoods. Sometime I do lime/lemon mix.

The key to this post is this:

A dash of honey gives the "mouth feel" a ton of sugar would take.
Mix your sweetners, but make sure 2/3 of it is ALWAYS splenda.

Sugar not only provides sweetness but mouthfeel (the syrup effect). You can get by this effect by adding flavors (like mint) BUT acidic tastes overpower mouth feel (thats why diet sprite is more like sprite then diet coke it to coke), message here is that adding lemon allows less sugar without noticeable difference. And no, this is not BS

http://www.beveragedaily.com/Product...et-soft-drinks

Give it a try, experiment. Hopefully you find a substitute to your liking. Also, I have yet to find any canned/bittled teas worth a ****. I like tea to taste like tea, not sugar water and raspberry.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote