View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Home Bar Liquor List - What To Buy?

Ron, the thing about scotch is there are so many and every scotch drinker has his own favorites. If you want to pick up some, it's a good idea to get ones that will please new scotch drinkers and experienced ones. A couple recs are the Balvenie 12 and the Talisker 10, both reasonably priced and flavorful. For a scotch that might be mixed a blended Scotch such as Johnnie Walker would suffice. Let me know if you want any more specific recommendations. Most of what I'm going by is how I've stocked bars in the past both at restaurants and personally.

Are you looking for a specific stock list with recommendations? I can give you one if you'd like, I was just giving general guidelines, but I can also tell you exactly what I'd buy. I'd also say that a lot of the liquor recommendations you might get that might be sleeper hits might be a bit of an acquired taste. For instance, I love Hendrick's gin, but I've met more people who didn't like it than did. However, many people who enjoy gin enjoy Hendricks, it's the ones who don't drink gin often who really disliked it. Same with Scotch, Laphroiag is a great Scotch, imo, but the average drinker will not like it's smoky/peaty flavor profile. Let me know what you want and I can put a list together and pm you.

Whatever you do, don't buy Galliano. I don't even know if stores stock it, but I know of only two drinks that I can make off the top of my head that use it (an italian coffee recipe i know of and the harvey wallbanger) and I have never seen it ordered. I always find it hilarious to see at restaurant bars because it makes me wonder how many years it's been sitting there.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote